PDA

View Full Version : Obs question

jadavi
13-03-2012, 03:08 AM
I want to check that what I'm now doing is ok as have Ofsted any day.
I have come full circle with my LJs and now make them very simple as this is want parents wanted. A lot of photos with captions that indicate the stage achieved and next step . Ie I love riding these three wheelers. Over the summer I may try a scooter.
I don't do any separate obs in their files. I did detailed starting points at the beginning of the lj and I do summative assessments every couple of months which goes in the back of the lj in an envelope stuck in. I have an ongoing planning record page on my laptop which is filled in during and after the session twice a week covering all the children on at least two days (shared kindly by Penny) which shows what we are doing that day, why we're doing it, child or adult initiated, and comments or next steps from that. All this is in columns on a chart. I print this out at the days end and it goes into my general planning file.( so there's not much in their individual files now apart from starting points, summatives and any letters to nursery etc or anything else special .

Does all that sound ok? I seem to have found a system that works for me. I don't want to write long obs just for my records just for Ofsted .

Will they expect it though?

jadavi
13-03-2012, 07:11 AM
Forgot to say, I also do the coloured stickers in the lj to link to eyfs

sarah707
13-03-2012, 07:50 AM
It sounds like you have a system you are happy with and it's working for you.

You are showing children's progression from their starting points which is the most important thing Ofsted will be looking for.

Only your individual inspector will know what she wants to see though and as we know they are all different.

However being able to explain what you do, how and why you do it, each child's current obs and how they relate to next steps is important.

Hth :D