PDA

View Full Version : mindees step dad is being dispatched.

chez
12-03-2012, 05:00 PM
one of my mindees step dads is in the TA he went away last year for 6 months and Ive just found out that hes being dispatched next month again.

This little man is 3 years old.

Im a forces child but Im going back many years. Any ideas on things that I can do to help support him and his family?

Little Pickles
12-03-2012, 05:05 PM
Hi I have been in this position a few times now , I keep everything as normal as possible - lots of fun and distraction. I think that they benefit from having a happy stress free time at the CM's . Maybe make pictures to send to Daddy , you could email pictures to Mum to send onto Dad with details of what LO has been up to . I always make sure that I offer lots of support to Mum' s at this time too and let her know if / when I have any spare sessions avalible because often Mums need time to get shopping or hair done if no family around to take care of LO as is often the case with Army families

VeggieSausage
12-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Who would have thought the TA would get called up and still are....:(

BuggsieMoo
12-03-2012, 05:42 PM
Dad can pick up a fab book from the Welfare office that is full of pictures,postcards, height chart, stickers etc that LO can do at yours and at home. You could also get some blueys from the post office (free) and get LO to write and draw to daddy. Im a forces wife with 4 small children and routine is key. Our OH has just come home from deployment and we found to take it one day at a time. I never pushed mine to talk, but was always available for talking to. LO will have up and down days but with support and just knowing someone is there will get mum and LO through.
Big hugs to them xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

nikki thomson
12-03-2012, 06:20 PM
Dad can pick up a fab book from the Welfare office that is full of pictures,postcards, height chart, stickers etc that LO can do at yours and at home. You could also get some blueys from the post office (free) and get LO to write and draw to daddy. Im a forces wife with 4 small children and routine is key. Our OH has just come home from deployment and we found to take it one day at a time. I never pushed mine to talk, but was always available for talking to. LO will have up and down days but with support and just knowing someone is there will get mum and LO through.
Big hugs to them xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Those books are fab, my dh is about to be deployed in two weeks for another 6 months and these really help also he can go and record one of lo's favourite stories at his units welfare office and it can be played to them, fab idea. X

singingcactus
12-03-2012, 07:14 PM
Sorry got to say, despatched tends to mean done away with. The dad is being deployed :) I'd hate to hear of my DH being despatched lol.

From your point of view you just need to keep thing normal. Don't keep reminding little one that dad has been deployed, and don't dwell on it.

MAWI
12-03-2012, 09:25 PM
I totally agree with Nikki and Little Pickels, routine is the only way to try and keep things normal as possible and lots of fun and activties. I'm an ex forces wife, hubby served for 25 years and my daughters managed much better than I did (children do cope so well) when Daddy was away. Lots of routines, I.e nursery, preschool, friends, play dates etc.. And pictures/writing to Daddy. I am sure that you are already doing enough.
I spent a lot of time abroad and no family around, so it's quite nice to just have someone to talk to or have a cuppa with now and again.:).
I'm sure it will mean a lot to Mum that LO is happy and being provided with lots of fun and play.