PDA

View Full Version : Any advice please?

jpc
12-03-2012, 12:00 PM
Hi, I have been childminding for a few years now but have never had this situation before, if anyone has any advice please help!
I got my number passed onto a parent about looking after their child who is 8 months old, they came for taster sessions and the child was fine, however the parent didn't leave them. The parent is a shift worker and I end up having the child 4 days one week and then a week later just one day and then the cycle starts again. I had the child for the 4 days and all that happened was the child non stop crying, i called the parent and they said it must be a growth spurt ot teething they are not normally like that. My problem is that I have two other children to look after and my whole day is spent trying to get the child to stop crying so is disrupting my care with them. The parent keeps telling me the child needs to get used to me but with the pattern of hours has no hope! I have a 'settling in period' with them but feel bad about thinking of not having the child and don't know what to say!? The parent keeps telling me that she had a real hard time finding anyone to work to her shift pattern and she has only just gone back to work.
Please help!!

JCrakers
12-03-2012, 01:18 PM
I feel for you as I have experienced this with a child of the same age. 8m is a very hard age to settle with separation anxiety kicking in.

It really all depends on how much you can take. I lasted 8 weeks and the child came 4 days a week 8-6pm and would scream very loudly for probably 8hrs out of the 10.

I had cared for her sister and mum and dad were so wanting me to carry on but I was physically and mentally drained.it was starting to affect my own children as well as all the other minders and more importantly my patience was wearing thin.

You need to weigh up the pros and cons and do what's best for you. At the end of the day it's your health and the happiness of the mindees and your own family.

After a year the child was back with me, a totally different child. She is now 2yrs and as happy as could be. I just knew at the time that it was the right thing to do for all concerned.

The Juggler
12-03-2012, 01:52 PM
i think i would have a word with teh parent. are they paying half fees for the 5th day anyway hon, or half fees for all 4 days on teh week child doesn't come. if so I would encourage parent to use some of the retained hours so the child has some continuity and will settle more quickly.