PDA

View Full Version : I know this has been asked many times before...

Tippy Toes
12-03-2012, 09:51 AM
And by me too! :blush: BUT I really am stuck as to what to do in respect of before/after school fees?

I currently look after 2 little ones (approaching 3yrs old) who are starting school in sept, both sets of parents want me to provide afterschool care and possibly before schoool care too.

I charge £3.50 per hr (my new children are charged £3.85 per hr.) but I have never put my fee up for these children as they where taken on when I first started childminding.

Anyway my fees for afterschool care are different to my daytime childcare rate and this is basically because I need it to be worthwhile.

I charge £5 for the drop off hour to school and £5 for the pick up hr from school with an additional charge of £1 for breakfast and £1 for afterschool snack.

Do you think this is reasonable?

My worry is parents have not asked if my fees are any different for school children. How do I tell parents that fees are different for school children? Nervous as to how to tell parents?

Thanks for any help and advice xx

Tippy Toes
12-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Forgot to mention additional hours will be £3.85 per hr.

catminder
12-03-2012, 09:54 AM
Could you write this on their next invoice?

jumping j
12-03-2012, 10:02 AM
I'm trying to get advice on this at the moment!
Not sure whether to charge regularly hourly rate, set amount or higher hourly rate :panic:

ajc
12-03-2012, 10:36 AM
Hia, am I right in thinking that your providing wrap around care for 3 year olds? I personally dont offer this as I explain to them that they are using an `all day` space and I need to charge the daily rate, be careful that you are not using your early year places for school pick ups.

Mrs Pootle
12-03-2012, 10:48 AM
I think the charge is going to depend on the hours you need to look after the children. If they are 3 years old and starting pre-school for half a day, then they are taking up a full EYFS space. Be careful you don't end up not being able to take on a EYFS full-timer because of these children.

For children (age 3/4) attending the school nursery I charge £20 as a flat fee. This includes picking them up at 11.30am and staying with me until 4pm. My usual hourly rate is £3, but I charge extra for these children as I can not take on another EYFS child in the morning when they are at nursery. If parents want to pick up from me sooner then 4pm that is up to them, but I still charge £20. If the child needs looking after beyond 4pm I charge my usual hourly rate of £3.

If the child is school age (and so out of EYFS) then I change a flat fee of £4 before school (8am - 9am) and £6 after school (3.30 - 5pm).
:)

LauraS
12-03-2012, 11:43 AM
It does sound like there might be crossed wires here somewhere, children normally only start full time schooling in the academic year in which they turn five, which would be next year for your mindees. Are you sure it's not part-time?

Either way, as others have said, they will still impact your ratios as 3-year olds and you would prbably find it hard to fill the hours that they are in school with another child. I therefore think the £5 drop-off and pick-up charge is far too low :o

Tippy Toes
12-03-2012, 12:57 PM
It does sound like there might be crossed wires here somewhere, children normally only start full time schooling in the academic year in which they turn five, which would be next year for your mindees. Are you sure it's not part-time?

Either way, as others have said, they will still impact your ratios as 3-year olds and you would prbably find it hard to fill the hours that they are in school with another child. I therefore think the £5 drop-off and pick-up charge is far too low :o

Hi Im from south wales so children start school at 3 years old.