PDA

View Full Version : Copy of sickness policy please urgently!!

smurfette
11-03-2012, 08:00 PM
HI all,

Further to my previous thread about ill child, I am now putting together a sickness policy,.. think I have most things covered, but wonder would someone mind emailing me a copy of theirs, or copy and posting it onto this thread for me just to check please?!!! I need to give it to the parent tomorrow!!

Thanks so much!

hello kitty
11-03-2012, 09:16 PM
Why don't you post your policy and we can tell you if you have missed anything. ;)

smurfette
11-03-2012, 10:21 PM
SICKNESS POLICY

Sick Child Policy: I believe that the best place for an ill child is resting at home with a parent or other family member. In fairness to other children attending, I cannot accommodate ill children. Under no circumstances may a parent bring a sick child, if the child shows any signs of illness, or is unable to participate in the normal routine and regular day care program. Sick children will expose the other children I care for, my own children, and me. Sick children want care from their parents in the comfort of their own homes. If other children become ill due to exposure to your sick child, either because he/she was returned to me before full recovery or because he/she was not picked up promptly upon notice of becoming ill, other parents will be unnecessarily inconvenienced. Also, if I am exposed unnecessarily to illness which would cause me to be unavailable to work, both you and the other parents will be inconvenienced in finding alternative care for the duration.

Every effort is taken to reduce the spread of illness by encouraging hand washing and other sanitary practices.

If your child is unable to participate in our normal activities (including being able to play outside), then your child MUST stay home.

Children will be visually screened when they arrive in the morning. In the event a child becomes ill and needs to be picked up, the parent(s) will be called and are expected to come pick the child up within one hour (60 minutes). If the parent(s) cannot be reached, or have not arrived within an hour, the emergency contact person will be called and asked to come pick the child up.

For the benefit of the other children in my care, a sick child will not be permitted to return to care for 24 hours after condition has returned to normal. The child may return 24 - 48 hours (depending upon the illness) after they have received the first dose of an antibiotic. This is because a child might suffer an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, and also needs time resting to allow it to start to work. If you aren't sure about whether or not to bring your child, please call me to discuss it. Allergy related symptoms, and non-communicable illnesses do not require exclusion if you have a note from your doctor.

Symptoms requiring removal of child:

• Fever: Fever is defined as having a temperature of 100°F or higher taken under the arm, 101°F taken orally, or 102°F taken rectally. For children 4 months or younger, the lower rectal temperature of 101°F is considered a fever threshold; (a child needs to be fever free for a minimum of 24 hours before returning to me, that means the child is fever free without the aid of Calpol, Nurofen, or any other fever reducing substance.)
• Fever AND sore throat, rash, vomiting, diarrhea, earache, irritability, or confusion.
• Diarrhea: runny, watery, ****** stools, or 2 or more loose stools within last 4 hours.
• Vomiting: 2 or more times in a 24 hour period. Note: please do not bring your child if they have vomited in the night.
• Breathing trouble, sore throat, swollen glands, loss of voice, hacking or continuous coughing.
• Runny nose (other than clear), draining eyes or ears.
• Frequent scratching of body or scalp, lice, rash, or any other spots that resemble childhood diseases, including ringworm.
• Child is irritable, continuously crying, or requires more attention than I can provide without hurting the health, safety or well-being of the other children in my care.

Just a note: Please consider how would you feel if another parent brought their sick child and exposed your child? I STRESS this again -- if you are not sure whether or not it is okay to bring your child, please call ahead to ask me. I may require a doctor's decision as to whether or not the child is contagious. We appreciate you cooperation and honesty in this matter.

• Child cannot attend setting until 24 hours after last bout of diarrohea or vomiting. If your child has vomited in the night, please do not bring them.
• Children with infectious diseases should not attend the service. It is the policy of this service not to accept children who have been ill until the after minimum period of exclusion.
• All parents are asked to inform the Childminder if the child has been unwell since last attending the childminding service
• All parents are informed if any child attending the Childminding service has an infectious disease
• I will administer one dose of fever or pain relief medicine if a child becomes unwell in my care but if they require another then they are ill and will be sent home

Please make sure you have back up care in place, in case I am ill and cannot open, my own children have diarrohea or vomiting, or in case your little one is sick and cannot attend

After your child has been out sick, I will now require you to sign a form, confirming they have not had any bout of sickness, diarrhoea or any kind of stomach upset in the last 24 hours, and stating when the last bout was, and to say as far as you know the child is well and able to participate in activities. A parent signing falsely is grounds for me to give 4 weeks notice and end our contract and childminding arrangement.

I will obviously be happy to care for children who have a cold, are teething, or are only mildly under the weather.

I hope this clarifies any queries you may have in connection with this, but please do not hesitate to talk to me if you have any questions.

Too harsh?!!! Just feeling mad after being abused on this recently!!

smurfette
12-03-2012, 07:28 AM
Anyone?!! Have I missed anything?!!

miffy
12-03-2012, 07:46 AM
My exclusion period for sickness and diarrhoea is 48 not 24 hours.

If it were me I'd try and condense your policy a bit - it's very long and at some points reads like a rant at parents rather than what you will do if a child is ill.

You need it to be short and to the point if you're going to get the message across to parents.

Miffy xx

rickysmiths
12-03-2012, 08:03 AM
SICKNESS POLICY

Sick Child Policy: I believe that the best place for an ill child is resting at home with a parent or other family member. In fairness to other children attending, I cannot accommodate ill children. Under no circumstances may a parent bring a sick child, if the child shows any signs of illness, or is unable to participate in the normal routine and regular day care program. Sick children will expose the other children I care for, my own children, and me. Sick children want care from their parents in the comfort of their own homes. If other children become ill due to exposure to your sick child, either because he/she was returned to me before full recovery or because he/she was not picked up promptly upon notice of becoming ill, other parents will be unnecessarily inconvenienced. Also, if I am exposed unnecessarily to illness which would cause me to be unavailable to work, both you and the other parents will be inconvenienced in finding alternative care for the duration.

Every effort is taken to reduce the spread of illness by encouraging hand washing and other sanitary practices.

If your child is unable to participate in our normal activities (including being able to play outside), then your child MUST stay home.

Children will be visually screened when they arrive in the morning. In the event a child becomes ill and needs to be picked up, the parent(s) will be called and are expected to come pick the child up within one hour (60 minutes). If the parent(s) cannot be reached, or have not arrived within an hour, the emergency contact person will be called and asked to come pick the child up.

For the benefit of the other children in my care, a sick child will not be permitted to return to care for 24 hours after condition has returned to normal. The child may return 24 - 48 hours (depending upon the illness) after they have received the first dose of an antibiotic. This is because a child might suffer an allergic reaction to the antibiotic, and also needs time resting to allow it to start to work. If you aren't sure about whether or not to bring your child, please call me to discuss it. Allergy related symptoms, and non-communicable illnesses do not require exclusion if you have a note from your doctor.

Symptoms requiring removal of child:

• Fever: Fever is defined as having a temperature of 100°F or higher taken under the arm, 101°F taken orally, or 102°F taken rectally. For children 4 months or younger, the lower rectal temperature of 101°F is considered a fever threshold; (a child needs to be fever free for a minimum of 24 hours before returning to me, that means the child is fever free without the aid of Calpol, Nurofen, or any other fever reducing substance.)
• Fever AND sore throat, rash, vomiting, diarrhea, earache, irritability, or confusion.
• Diarrhea: runny, watery, ****** stools, or 2 or more loose stools within last 4 hours.
• Vomiting: 2 or more times in a 24 hour period. Note: please do not bring your child if they have vomited in the night.
• Breathing trouble, sore throat, swollen glands, loss of voice, hacking or continuous coughing.
• Runny nose (other than clear), draining eyes or ears.
• Frequent scratching of body or scalp, lice, rash, or any other spots that resemble childhood diseases, including ringworm.
• Child is irritable, continuously crying, or requires more attention than I can provide without hurting the health, safety or well-being of the other children in my care.

Just a note: Please consider how would you feel if another parent brought their sick child and exposed your child? I STRESS this again -- if you are not sure whether or not it is okay to bring your child, please call ahead to ask me. I may require a doctor's decision as to whether or not the child is contagious. We appreciate you cooperation and honesty in this matter.

• Child cannot attend setting until 24 hours after last bout of diarrohea or vomiting. If your child has vomited in the night, please do not bring them.
• Children with infectious diseases should not attend the service. It is the policy of this service not to accept children who have been ill until the after minimum period of exclusion.
• All parents are asked to inform the Childminder if the child has been unwell since last attending the childminding service
• All parents are informed if any child attending the Childminding service has an infectious disease
• I will administer one dose of fever or pain relief medicine if a child becomes unwell in my care but if they require another then they are ill and will be sent home

Please make sure you have back up care in place, in case I am ill and cannot open, my own children have diarrohea or vomiting, or in case your little one is sick and cannot attend

After your child has been out sick, I will now require you to sign a form, confirming they have not had any bout of sickness, diarrhoea or any kind of stomach upset in the last 24 hours, and stating when the last bout was, and to say as far as you know the child is well and able to participate in activities. A parent signing falsely is grounds for me to give 4 weeks notice and end our contract and childminding arrangement.

I will obviously be happy to care for children who have a cold, are teething, or are only mildly under the weather.

I hope this clarifies any queries you may have in connection with this, but please do not hesitate to talk to me if you have any questions.

Too harsh?!!! Just feeling mad after being abused on this recently!!

Tooo Long!!

Mine is quite simple but to the point I think with the greatest respect you sound as if you are ranting at the parents before they have commited the crime!

Mine is only 13 lines long and starts:

Although I try to be as flexible as possible, it is in nobody's interest - least of all the child concerned - for me to care for a sick child who would be more comfortable and content in it's own home with a parent.

I then talk about the importance of being informed of any signs or symptoms of illness over the weekend or overnight along with being told about any knocks or bumps. I talk about contagious infections and give the HPA website.

Last sentence is:

If a child becomes unwell whilst in my care I contact their parents and ask them to collect their child as quickly as possible. I have a duty of care for all the children I mind and to myself and my family.

My exclusion is 48 hours as well as per the HPA Guidelines.

smurfette
12-03-2012, 08:17 AM
Thank y'all that's what I was afraid of.. Anyway doesn't matter now just arrived and child will be finishing at end of week to go to Crèche who apparently will be more flexible!!! Also have taken too many half days ( I think 3 in a year with no actual holidays) two of which were when my baby niece died of cot death three weeks ago!! :eek:

Well she is going that's what I wanted

rickysmiths
12-03-2012, 09:00 AM
Sounds as if you are better off with out her. One of those who knows the cost of everything and the value of nothing.

Still no harm in up dateing your policy.

ChocolateChip
12-03-2012, 01:33 PM
Have a look on the Bromley website, iI have adapted most of mine from there :thumbsup: