PDA

View Full Version : storage /coats

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 04:29 PM
Hi Just a quick one - desperately need some storage but running out of room as to where to put it. Quite like the idea of room divider but it seems like it could be dangerous? Maybe for tipping or kids climbing up them? I haven't seen one and live too far from Ikea to check out. If its a problem I can secure it against a wall but just wanted opinions please if anyone has had one.

http://www.ikea.com/gb/en/catalog/products/80071357/

Also I have far too many coats/ waterproofs/wellies/childrens day bags that just get piled by the door. Can't put a coat rack up as one side of my door is the kitchen units and the other side of the door is a window. I have a cupboard under the stairs but that is already full of pushchairs, toys craft stuffs and my families coats! Thought I'd seen a vertical coat rack that went up the wall in the shape of a giraffe but can not remember where I saw it and can't find it when I google it.

Any advice would be great - especially if it includes nice big storage like the ikea unit but cheaper!!

miffy
10-03-2012, 04:34 PM
Was the coat rack anything like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Childs-coat-rack-stool-bright-jungle-animal-design-/110835302922?pt=UK_HG_ChildFurniture_RL&var=&hash=item5f7ad23e18#ht_500wt_1199

Miffy xx

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 04:38 PM
they are very cute - that was what I got when I googled giraffe coat rack! They were like a wall panel - decorated wood that sits flush up the wall but with coat hooks that protrude out of the side. (I think)

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 04:40 PM
actually it was a bit like this and I'm now wondering if I imagined the whole giraffe thing!?

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/coat-rack-grey-medium-solid-with-design.htm?ProductId=705013847&FiltreCouleur=6450&t=6

miffy
10-03-2012, 04:46 PM
actually it was a bit like this and I'm now wondering if I imagined the whole giraffe thing!?

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/coat-rack-grey-medium-solid-with-design.htm?ProductId=705013847&FiltreCouleur=6450&t=6

That's lovely.

There's also this one in the sales

http://www.vertbaudet.co.uk/mural-coat-rack.htm?ProductId=705013790&t=6

It's animals - not a giraffe though!

Miffy xx

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 04:52 PM
ooh thank you - it has a giraffe on it - I wonder if this is what I saw - was such a long time ago now! Think it may as well be 4 hooks on the wall though for the space it takes up! Thank you so much for looking for me and finding it though x

miffy
10-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I didn't see the giraffe :blush: was wondering if you'd got confused with the camel, but it's me that losing it! :laughing:

Miffy xx

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 05:07 PM
no definitely not you that's losing it - its me - well lost it perhaps!

miffy
10-03-2012, 05:11 PM
Sooooooo, are you getting the one with the giraffe and the camel and the kangaroo? :D

Miffy xx

catminder
10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
The storage unit would look great as a room divider. I wouldn't think it would tip as long as you store heavier items at the bottom to stabilise it :thumbsup:

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 05:36 PM
not sure about the coat rack now - am being all indecisive and vague! (I am also a bit of a skin flint so anything that actually involves parting with money is a huge quandry for me!)

Just read the safety advice on the shelving unit and it says it must be attached to the wall but am wondering how it would attach to the wall if it is free standing across the middle of the room as a room divider!? lol!

sarah707
10-03-2012, 05:40 PM
We have a big shoe rack - about 10 shelves. Each child uses a shelf for their coat, bag, shoes, artwork etc.

The shelves get really dirty so we find a plain wood one works best and we wipe it down every week.

Hth :D

Bluebell
10-03-2012, 05:43 PM
Thank you Sarah - I think I will need to just get a higher shoe rack than the on I've got - I can't go too high as it will block the window and there isn't really anywhere else for it to go!

AliceK
10-03-2012, 05:44 PM
Hi
I have the expedit storage unit. We bought it to go up against a wall in the playroom and yes it would tip quite easily, there is no way I wouldn't have it fixed. It comes with a fixing bracket and my OH put this at one end of the unit and fixed it to the wall. It's really secure now and is no way going anywhere. Definitely needs to be fixed to a wall. It is FAB though, I love it. I bought some lovely storage drawer things to use in it and have left some of the shelves clear for display toys. Would recommend it :thumbsup:

xxxx

blue bear
10-03-2012, 05:45 PM
If space is the problem what about a stacker box foreach child that can be stacked up when filled then at the end if the day when empty put them inside each other and you've just got the size of one box to store?

singlewiththree
10-03-2012, 07:42 PM
Was the coat rack anything like this?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Childs-coat-rack-stool-bright-jungle-animal-design-/110835302922?pt=UK_HG_ChildFurniture_RL&var=&hash=item5f7ad23e18#ht_500wt_1199

Miffy xx

I've got something similar to this the kids love it and we say put your coat on Gerry! :)

Playmate
10-03-2012, 08:06 PM
We have the expedit unit in our porch and each child has a cubby hole (or peggy hole as one child calls it :D) it is bril, but yes it does need fixing to a wall and I wouldn't use it as a room divider.

louise
10-03-2012, 09:24 PM
I haven't got much of a hallway, I brought an over the door hook for the kids but I was constantly having to help. Now I use the suction cup hooks, I have just brought a few more as the sticky ones didn't work. Depending on the work surfaces this could work. I also have just got a 5 shelf shoe rack from argos, perfect for all our shoes and the kids, bags all go on the top one.

aly
10-03-2012, 09:49 PM
the expedit eunit - well i have 1 5x5 one, 2 2x4 & 1 x 5 one, and they are fab...some i have drawers in some are the boxes.

None of these are fixed though as I like to move room arounda lot and I wouldnt like holes everywehre....sayign that they will not be dangerous as htey have heavy things in ther....BUT !! I wouldnt use it as a divider as you jsut never know.....my friend has 2 as a room divider but they are the 5x5 ones back to back so would be harder to move.

Bluebell
11-03-2012, 09:42 AM
Thank you - I think I will get one and will look at putting it against a wall so I can attach it. Will have to save my money first - especially as I looked at the ikea delivery charge and it is £35 to where I live!