PDA

View Full Version : Feeling low today and dont want Monday to come

JCrakers
10-03-2012, 03:39 PM
:( Sorry if this is long...hopefully by Monday I will have snapped out of it

I should be feeling over the moon but im not.
I was inspected on Friday by a lovley inspector from Prospect. She loved everything I did. She commented on the immense amount of toys I had, she said some preschools didnt have as many toys as me :rolleyes:. The huge amount of work, folders for the children, Went on to say that I was the best she had seen. She was impressed by the feedback from all the parents as everyone had given me a 5/5.
She was very impressed with my RA and said my SEF was very detailed and i'd written so much more than any other childminder had.
Ive got 17yrs experience in childcare and have my NNEB. I was a nanny before becoming a childminder and I know children inside out.

I was so thrilled to hear her saying all these nice things about me but when it came to my grade she said Im going to give you a good in all areas, with a big smile on her face and I was so dissapointed. I told her straight away and she apologised.She said if there was a 'very good' then I would get that. She said that childminders dont get outstanding because unlike nurseries they dont have huge networks or special needs children....***!! She said 'you wouldn't want Oustanding anyway'.... :eek:

Now I know I should be really pleased with this as I recieved a good last time and was over the moon. But when I was inspected laset time in Aug08 I was only just getting to grips with eyfs as it was all new. Since then I have improved immensly. I have 15 children on my books (6 ey) and all are thriving.
I give my life and soul to all the children so I asked the inspector what I could do to improve and get the outstanding that I really hoped for and the only thing she could think if was 'To be part of a network with other childminders and more communication with my DO'
When I first started childminding 4.5yrs ago I went along to the local childminding group, after 6 months I could have jumped off a bridge. They moaned about parents, children and just sat drinking tea. I dont need any help from my DO because I have everything sorted. I use this forum for immense help and everything I know I have learnt off here. :D Im not good with groups of people but that shouldnt go against me. I hate going to toddler groups but I go 3 times a week but the children get so much from it.

Now I know I need to snap out of this as I didnt sleep last night. I want to be happy with my grade but just feel cheated out of something that was an inch out of my grasp. She didnt even give me a higher grade for 1 area.
I feel chated because being a fantastic childminder doesnt mean I have to be part of a network. I have good comms with school and preschool so why do I need to know other childminders in the area.
Sorry if Im coming across selfish and spoilt but I honestly felt so deflated when she told me. Im just not looking forward to work right now when usually Im really happy.

I have complained and need to wait until my report comes through until I can take it further. The inspector of course has denied all that was said and has also been told not to use sweeping statements such as ' you are the best ive inspected' as it builds up hopes.
Just wanted to write this down as hubbie has probably had enough ear bashing :D

boxtree7
10-03-2012, 03:58 PM
I think there will be a lot on this forum that feel or have felt the same as you are now. Chin up !

Tigertots
10-03-2012, 04:35 PM
Same here my inspector said lots of comments like that and I was disappointed like you with good.

miffy
10-03-2012, 04:50 PM
Sorry you're feeling so fed up but completely understand why - it sounds as though this inspector felt she couldn't give an outstanding grade because you were a childminder and not a nursery which, as we all know, is rubbish.

Wait and see how your report reads and then decide what to do from there but if you're not happy then complain again.

Sending hugs

Miffy xx

flowerpots
10-03-2012, 05:56 PM
Sorry you're feeling so fed up but completely understand why - it sounds as though this inspector felt she couldn't give an outstanding grade because you were a childminder and not a nursery which, as we all know, is rubbish.

Wait and see how your report reads and then decide what to do from there but if you're not happy then complain again.

Sending hugs

Miffy xx

I agree, wait and see how the report reads. hope you're ok. xxxx

carol cameron
10-03-2012, 06:04 PM
This happened to me some years ago and I refused to accept the grading ! I will never forget asking how to appeal and the inspector told me she didn't know as no-one had ever refused to accept the grading she was giving them:panic:
Anyway, I complained and it took them so long to sort out , that 6 months later I was re-inspected and got the grading I expected and deserved.
That was under Ofsted and times have changed now but I felt better just knowing that I had challenged the grading.
Good luck with whatever you decide to do.:)

Carol M
10-03-2012, 06:06 PM
:group hug:
You sound well and truely deflated, I understand why.
I'm glad you have challenged your inspector and made a complaint but it doesn't alter the way you feel :(
I am due my inspection and since last one I have evidence of further improvement, but with inspectors from Prospects and Tribal seemingly varying dramatically in the way they grade and base their judgements, I am not looking forward to it at all.
If your inspector told you you would not get outstanding because you were a childminder she needs shooting!
hugs to you
Carol xx

blue bear
10-03-2012, 06:41 PM
I'm confused, if you go with what she said only large groups are outstanding? By meeting up with other childminders once month you can reach outstanding in safe guarding but not if you don't? Warped logic if you ask me.

Playmate
10-03-2012, 07:15 PM
No wonder you are feeling down :( I have heard some ridiculous statements from ofsted inspections,but some of those take the biscuit. Definately complain when your report comes through. :group hug:

Bob
10-03-2012, 09:28 PM
Sorry, nothing constructive to add, but I feel for you. It's all so hit and miss depending on who the inspector is. They should have standards and tick boxes so we know whether we're coming or going.

Mollymop
10-03-2012, 09:51 PM
Oh hun I so feel for you, you sound to me that you defo deserve recognition after getting a good 3 to 4 years ago and you know you have highly improved so at least you should get a higher grade for yourself at least in a few areas!
For your inspector to say about "special needs children and networks' is so wrong unless I read your post incorrectly. Us, as C/Mers do have to deal with sen children and what makes me cross is we work on our own with SEN children unlike pre-schools who gte immense support (and accredited c/m who get funded support) and we don't get the recognition of our achievement.
I got all goods on my last inspection (EY 2008) the same as lots of other minders in my area (same inspector) difference was I was caring for 2 children with SEN and other c/m wasn't but still I and them got same grade when it came to inclusion/equalities also with self-assessments etc, I did my sef and others didn't but still got same grade, I was a bit annoyed.:thumbsup:

I am so hoping for some Outstanding features in my next inspection (due anytime!) as I have worked so hard for it over the past 3 years, that if I get all Goods again I will complain.
Hope that Ofsted reinspect you, as you sound like you deserve to get out of your inspection all you have given in over the past 3 years x