PDA

View Full Version : Chicken Pox

NicoleW
10-03-2012, 08:33 AM
My 5 year old came up in them this morning, first I saw some spots on her belly then all of a sudden it's all over her face back arms and legs, some of them look like blisters so none have scabbed over yet.

I had a 14 month old in my care on monday and tuesday, and a 2.5 year old monday to friday. Should I tell the parents of the 14 month old that she's come out in them just in case he does?

kellib
10-03-2012, 08:54 AM
I'd tell all parents in case they don't want to send their LO's to you while she's still infectious.

NicoleW
10-03-2012, 09:03 AM
Am I right in thinking she is infectious until the spots are crusted over?

miffy
10-03-2012, 04:59 PM
Am I right in thinking she is infectious until the spots are crusted over?

Yes, and you'll probably find the spots come out in batches over the next few days.

Hope she's not too itchy or poorly with it.

Miffy xx

catminder
10-03-2012, 05:28 PM
The infectious period is 1-2 days before and 5 days after the rash develops. The vesicles are infectious until crusted over.
I hope your dd is not feeling too bad with it and soon recovers

alwaysright
10-03-2012, 09:50 PM
yes i would tell all the other parents and asap so that they can arrange alternate care for monday

NicoleW
12-03-2012, 07:17 AM
One mindee is turning up and the other one isn't. My DD is fine, not itching just yet :)

If my mindee gets it I've agreed to still care for him because he'll be my only mindee so not really a problem

LauraS
12-03-2012, 11:31 AM
Gosh, what happens if your mindee does get chickenpox? The incubation period is 7-21 days as far as I recall, so if first mindee became infected and showed symptoms in a couple of weeks time and you admitted him to your setting, the second mindee's parents would have to keep their child home for a further week/ten days to avoid their child catching chickenpox?

They might even find that their child becomes inadvertantly infected by the first mindee anyway (as kids are infectious before the rash appears), so would need to find alternative care for their child for three periods of time. They might be a bit miffed at that, especially if their child is very poorly or develops complications?

NicoleW
12-03-2012, 02:32 PM
Nope because my second mindee has given me notice and is due to leave my care this thursday. I have let them know about the incubation period etc, he's not with me all week this week and on thursday he's going to cornwall for 2 weeks which is why they opted out of sending him here this week because they didn't want him ill on his holiday.