PDA

View Full Version : Funded places for 2 year olds question

catlyn
09-03-2012, 05:25 PM
Last night at our network meeting we were told that our area is getting extra 2 year old funded places (not sure if its nationwide) and childminders will be able to offer the care as well as nurseries they have said the criteria for getting a place will be whether or not you would qualify for school meals were your child 5. What I want to know is if a parent of a 2 year old who works part time and gets working tax credits for 3 days a week (which pays for some of the hours I have him) would be able to get the funded place for the other 2 days??? Should have asked last night tbh but it didnt occur to me until today that this would be great for one of my young single mums Has anyone got any more info about this please??

loocyloo
09-03-2012, 05:57 PM
the funding is for disadvantaged 2 yr olds, and being in receipt of free school meals is one of the criteria. IF your mum is or would be eligible for that benefit, then you would be able to claim up to 15hrs worth of funding for her child.

there are other criteria; family accessing income support, jobseekers allowance, child tax credit at a higher rate than family tax credits and a disability credit

x

catlyn
09-03-2012, 06:04 PM
thanks for the reply...so if I have him 3 days a week paid for by tax credits she will still be entitled to another 2 days as well paid for by this funding??

flowerpots
09-03-2012, 06:09 PM
thanks for the reply...so if I have him 3 days a week paid for by tax credits she will still be entitled to another 2 days as well paid for by this funding??

Yes this is right but in the midlands there is additional criteria which has to be met such as the child having speech and language problems, mum having some sort of disability, depression etc.

catlyn
09-03-2012, 06:12 PM
thanks x x x I asked last night and there are loads of extra places available and the only criteria our council is using is the free school meals one at the moment so she would qualify x

Pipsqueak
09-03-2012, 06:31 PM
note its UP TO 15hrs worth of funding, some areas - like mine only over 10hrs for example.

There is very strict criteria to which a child can get a place.

watgem
09-03-2012, 07:05 PM
I'm not sure about your area but in our area if you get working tax credits or childcare tax credits you aren't eligible for free school meals, so you may need to checkxxx

rickysmiths
09-03-2012, 07:11 PM
the funding is for disadvantaged 2 yr olds, and being in receipt of free school meals is one of the criteria. IF your mum is or would be eligible for that benefit, then you would be able to claim up to 15hrs worth of funding for her child.

there are other criteria; family accessing income support, jobseekers allowance, child tax credit at a higher rate than family tax credits and a disability credit

x

and as a parent of mine found out today being a Traveller, also teenage parents , single parents with more than one child, those with only one child rarely qualify.

You have to meet a number of the criteria to get the funding as well not just one or two.

Pipsqueak
09-03-2012, 07:15 PM
and as a parent of mine found out today being a Traveller, also teenage parents , single parents with more than one child, those with only one child rarely qualify.

You have to meet a number of the criteria to get the funding as well not just one or two.

oh I dunno - I have one currently and she is an only child - actually i have had three children via the 2yr old scheme who have been only children

nell57
09-03-2012, 07:29 PM
Our LA are putting on a number of drop in session next week, so will find out exactly what the criterea will be for our area, but from what I can gather it is pretty much the same a previous replies:)

The Juggler
09-03-2012, 07:39 PM
currently our LA is offering 15 hours but the criteria is that both parents have to be on benefits or one parent if single parent family:(

zippy
09-03-2012, 08:10 PM
I take it the childminders would still need to be accredited

jumping j
09-03-2012, 08:35 PM
I'm in the process of doing this, and we don't need to be accredited but the children do need to have speech and language problems to be elligable for funding, or so I've been told!!!

rickysmiths
09-03-2012, 08:58 PM
oh I dunno - I have one currently and she is an only child - actually i have had three children via the 2yr old scheme who have been only children

They prob meet loads of the other bits Pip.

catlyn
10-03-2012, 12:18 AM
thanks for all the replies...in answer to one question...no we dont have to be accredited...i specifically asked this...as we wont be offering early years education.....just childcare as the children will only be 2.....
and another thing i asked was the criteria for parents to apply...in our area there is only one criteria to be met and that is the reciept of school meals one...so anyone who fits this will be able to access a place....and there are going to be lots available, cant remember the exact figures but it will steadily increase over the next 2 years

found this by googling

http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/inthenews/a00200071/consultation-launched-on-free-early-education

rickysmiths
10-03-2012, 03:51 PM
thanks for all the replies...in answer to one question...no we dont have to be accredited...i specifically asked this...as we wont be offering early years education.....just childcare as the children will only be 2.....
and another thing i asked was the criteria for parents to apply...in our area there is only one criteria to be met and that is the reciept of school meals one...so anyone who fits this will be able to access a place....and there are going to be lots available, cant remember the exact figures but it will steadily increase over the next 2 years

found this by googling

http://www.education.gov.uk/inthenews/inthenews/a00200071/consultation-launched-on-free-early-education

That is strange when 2 year olds won't be in receipt of this benefit because they are not at school!

nell57
10-03-2012, 04:31 PM

found this by googling

Thanks for the link, its very interesting:thumbsup:

But doesn't it constantly refer to it being for free early education:huh:

The Juggler
10-03-2012, 05:21 PM
I take it the childminders would still need to be accredited

ours don't not even Level 3. They are running an 8 week modular course here on specifically supporting 2 year olds and disadvantaged families :thumbsup:

Mollymop
10-03-2012, 06:42 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but is it only accredited childminders who will be able to claim funding for disadvantaged 2 year olds?

nell57
10-03-2012, 07:12 PM
ours don't not even Level 3. They are running an 8 week modular course here on specifically supporting 2 year olds and disadvantaged families :thumbsup:

Hi Juggler:) .. do you have to have attended the course before you're eligable as a minder, to offer the funded places for the 2y olds though?

Carls
10-03-2012, 07:27 PM
I can currently offer places for disadvantaged 2 year olds but in our area we have to go through the whole process of being assessed to be accepted onto the directory of providers offering funded hours for 3 and 4 year olds first. This is like the accreditation scheme and then we can apply separatly to accept the 2 year olds x

The Juggler
10-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Hi Juggler:) .. do you have to have attended the course before you're eligable as a minder, to offer the funded places for the 2y olds though?

yes hon, we finish the course then we are accepted onto the database of providers. to offer 3/4 year old places you need to separately join the network, have level 3, good as a minimum, for your ofsted grading:thumbsup:

catlyn
11-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Sorry if this has already been mentioned but is it only accredited childminders who will be able to claim funding for disadvantaged 2 year olds?

we've been told no ....we only need to be accredited to offer the places for 3/4 year olds....any of our childminders can provide the care for the 2 year olds

catlyn
11-03-2012, 08:02 PM
That is strange when 2 year olds won't be in receipt of this benefit because they are not at school!

I said that as well....was told they assess as if the child was at school?? so if the family would qualify for school meals when the child was attending school then they will get the free 2 year old place