PDA

View Full Version : Does this mean anything?

nipper
09-03-2012, 04:05 PM
Whenever we go out, mindee (aged three) is drawn to repeated patterns. For example, jumping on paved slabs on the ground, or on block pavers, jumping on the black and white tiles in the local shopping centre, touching every (and I mean every) bar in the farm gates we walk through on the way to school Today when we were out on a walk we walked past a house with railings outside and mindee had to touch every one of them (and there were a lot).

What does this mean? The only young children I have observed exhibiting this type of behaviour when I was teaching were ones that had autistic tendencies.
This particularly mindee is also frighteningly quick at doing jigsaw puzzles (almost to the point of having a photographic memory).

I suppose one good thing is that they are fulfilling the numeracy and kuw part of the EYFS...:laughing:

sarah707
09-03-2012, 05:20 PM
How are psed skills? What about eye contact? Anything else worrying you?

xx

nipper
09-03-2012, 10:20 PM
This is the mindee I posted about hearing concerns. Very low level noise, not a chance. Very unclear speech e.g. 'poor' for 'floor', Mentioned to dad last week and he rolled his eyes and then let on that all the men on his side of the family wear hearing aids (mindee is a girl). Sorry, I digress.

She can get very annoyed at the other children, particularly the older ones because they can't understand her very well. When something goes against her, she just shuts down like a big set of roller blinds closing down and you can forget any response because you just don't get one.

Eye contact is good and maintained, however she has big, hollow eyes with a not very wide range of expressions. When happy or excited she can go totally OTT with her mannerisms. She has been with me for over a month now and on Wednesday she was calling the baby mindee by the wrong name and it didn't even register. She also call the other little ones "that baby" even though she knows their names.

I'm wondering if I should arrange for my DO to come out to see me under the guise of something else and ask her what she thinks. I know as a teacher I would be certainly be expressing concerns. It appears she has attended a nursery in the past, but all mum and dad said was it was not very good. I suspect it was because this child is so awkward socially and they aren't giving me the bigger picture.
Dad is totally clueless and this kid has him firmly wrapped around her little finger...every time he collects her, he picks her up to take her out to the car...this is the child who walks to school twice a day and then goes on at least one more long walk of about a couple of miles:angry:

nipper
09-03-2012, 10:29 PM
Oh blimey, I've just read the information on the help guide for parents and she repeats everything I say to her, as if it's a question. Now I am concerned.

sarah707
10-03-2012, 09:07 AM
While you can flag it up to parents that you are worried and put support in place to help her when she is with you there is nothing you can do if parents choose not to follow up on your concerns - unless it becomes a safeguarding issue.

I had this information clarified on a course I attended last week so it's current advice.

I would say keep an eye on her, make sure you document everything (positives where possible), let parents read the positive information you are sharing about her and see if they notice the gaps ie what she is not doing.

Hth :D

Playmate
10-03-2012, 09:59 AM
While you can flag it up to parents that you are worried and put support in place to help her when she is with you there is nothing you can do if parents choose not to follow up on your concerns - unless it becomes a safeguarding issue.

I had this information clarified on a course I attended last week so it's current advice.

I would say keep an eye on her, make sure you document everything (positives where possible), let parents read the positive information you are sharing about her and see if they notice the gaps ie what she is not doing.

Hth :D

Good advise from Sarah, treat with kid gloves. Carry on observing and planning for her needs. Emphersise your next steps on PSED and CLL and share with parents. so often we share all the possitive wow moments in PSRN KUW etc and parents automatically feel they bright and doing well, but miss the bigger picture. You don't want to push parents away so tread carefully.

The Juggler
10-03-2012, 05:41 PM
Oh blimey, I've just read the information on the help guide for parents and she repeats everything I say to her, as if it's a question. Now I am concerned.

i had a little girls like this (not obsessed with the patterns in same way) but very behind for her age and acting more like a 2 year old? She found it difficult to retain hear words or information and would ask where are we going, over and over and over even if i gave her the answers. Like you r mindee would shut down when told off, rarely cried and if bumped into a lampost or fell would act like nothing had happened.

She was had a lack of physical development to the point of being clumsy/falling over lots and dribbling a lot at age 4. Dyspraxia sprung to mind but it turned out at age 6 that she had sensory deprivation disorder.

just thinking that your midnee is using the patterns for stimulation maybe?