PDA

View Full Version : Some more advice please

melco
09-03-2012, 11:20 AM
Hi,

I have received an enquiry from a lady who wants me to look after her 2 boys for 2 months for 4 hours a week and then if the kids are happy then they will come full time in May. If I agree to this what happens, do we sign contracts for 2 months then do a review and sign another contract for the full time hours? Is this something that other childminders have done?
Just don't want to agree to it and then it all go wrong. But feel that I may not get anyone else before then so don't want to say no. I am just unsure whats the best way to do it. Any help will be much appreciated.

Thanks

Mel x

miffy
09-03-2012, 11:47 AM
Can you afford to keep two full time places open until May for only 8 hours pay?

It sounds like this parent wants a long trial period with no obligation on her part at the end of it.

Think carefully before you agree and only say yes if it's what you want to do

Miffy xx

Milli147
09-03-2012, 01:47 PM
I agree with Miffy, think it though carefully.

If it were me, I would explain that that is not the way I run my business.

I would offer 4 weeks settling in, with the part time place contracted to begin after the settling in period, as usual.
I would tell her you can offer her first refusal on the full-time place from May, or if she wants it guaranteed than you require a deposit.

That gives her 4 weeks to see if her boys settle, with no notice period. Then she goes onto contracted hours at the end for 4 weeks, with 4 week notice period. At that point she can book her extra hours for May with a deposit to hold them, or take a chance and wait and hope you still have space.

There are not many businesses and services where the customer walks in and tells you how it will be. No nursery would agree to those terms.