PDA

View Full Version : Getting a 2nd phone, great for me!...

greenfields
09-03-2012, 10:19 AM
The best idea I've had so far - 2 mobiles. 1 personal, 1 for work. I've had many 'unknown' calls to my (new) mobile number used for childminding and calls from scammers - I'm owed PPI apparently (but person had my 'wrong' address, I've never had a loan, and then gets aggressive with me when I suss the caller out!) Last night I was so fed up of unknown calls I sorted my phone out so they can't get through to me anymore. But I've just had a phonecall from the 'police'. Not a local accent or any mention of being local.
"Is that xxx?
You're a childminder, correct?
We are carrying out a road safety campaign".... etc etc etc...

Basically, would I be interested.

I said I'm not yet registered then he told me the campaign wouldn't be a for a couple of months yet, etc etc.

Is this right? If it was a 0845 or 0800 number I probably wouldn't have answered but it's a mobile number.
Obviously I said no, and I didn't politely tell him to shove off either, which I'm wondering if I should have now. Police??

silvermist
09-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Hiya, that sounds a bit dodgy to me! I think you did the right thing, there's so many scams going on now you have to be so careful. . You could ring your local police and ask if there is such a safety campaign going on? I think thats what I would do hun.

QualityCare
09-03-2012, 10:46 AM
If you google the number some of them come up with the company calling, even the scammers

silvermist
09-03-2012, 10:53 AM
If you google the number some of them come up with the company calling, even the scammers

Crikey thats a good tip! I;ll remember that for future. :)

greenfields
09-03-2012, 11:09 AM
I already googled the number and nothing came up for it. I could call the number back and ask for the PC's no., where he works etc. but I know I will get SO wound up if I get in a debate.
*Thinking*...

greenfields
09-03-2012, 11:23 AM
On the phone to police - being put through - waiting...

I'm just sick of these calls, okay this could be genuine but maybe not. And then I think of the next person who may be called... who might be ready and willing to give their details.

I've had 3 calls from an unknown number this morning. But they are being rejected, I fiddled on my phone last night. I was in work yesterday and it kept ringing and ringing....

greenfields
09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
SCAM :angry:

If you have any calls which make you suspisious, call your local police public service centre and ACTION FRAUD - 0300 1232040. They may not have got you but who knows who'll be next.

CH1957
09-03-2012, 02:27 PM
The best idea I've had so far - 2 mobiles. 1 personal, 1 for work. I've had many 'unknown' calls to my (new) mobile number used for childminding and calls from scammers - I'm owed PPI apparently (but person had my 'wrong' address, I've never had a loan, and then gets aggressive with me when I suss the caller out!) Last night I was so fed up of unknown calls I sorted my phone out so they can't get through to me anymore. But I've just had a phonecall from the 'police'. Not a local accent or any mention of being local.
"Is that xxx?
You're a childminder, correct?
We are carrying out a road safety campaign".... etc etc etc...

Basically, would I be interested.

I said I'm not yet registered then he told me the campaign wouldn't be a for a couple of months yet, etc etc.

Is this right? If it was a 0845 or 0800 number I probably wouldn't have answered but it's a mobile number.
Obviously I said no, and I didn't politely tell him to shove off either, which I'm wondering if I should have now. Police??

This is definately a scam. We used to get it all the time at work. Someone phones pretending to be from the Police and talk about advertising in their magazine, next thing you know you will be sent an invoice for the 'ad' that you didnt place!! We contacted the local Police station and they took all the details but nothing seemed to happen.

Just dont give them any of your details.

greenfields
09-03-2012, 02:34 PM
No, would never ever give any details. But didn't want to get into a debate with this person. So I feel like I've had the last laugh even if nothing is really done about it, all I can do really. It amazes me how many scam/nuisance calls that are made. :eek: