PDA

View Full Version : Change to sickness policy so I get a call

littlegremlins
08-03-2012, 09:05 PM
Well I'm on a learning curve about how I have to dot my i's and cross my t's but never thought I'd have to make such an obvious change. Today I've had to add in a clause about parents calling me by 9am or earlier if their child is unwell and not attending. This has come about because I went to collect one of my children from his nursery with two other children in two only to be told by nursery that he didn't come in. Mum didn't bother to call me and when I called her she told me she had forgotten! She could have called me up to 11am without it affecting anything. I then when I said I wanted a call by 9am she got really defensive and ended up haning up on me!

This job certainly gives you a bigger glimpse into personalities some times.

snufflepuff
08-03-2012, 09:08 PM
Some people are so selfish! And hanging up on you....rude!

tess1981
08-03-2012, 09:13 PM
:angry: It's only manners to inform you the LO will not be attending... i have it in my policy that parents inform before 9am or i will take it for granted they are not coming if they don't and carry on with outings, walks, parks, shopping etc... if they turn up and i'm not there it's a big simple TUFF... :eeeek:

Tatjana
08-03-2012, 10:15 PM
OMG, she hung up on you after making you go to nursery with other mindees all down to her thoughtless behaviour, soooo rude!!!:angry:

She should have apologised profusely!!!

angeldelight
08-03-2012, 10:41 PM
Some people never fail to amaze me :eek:

Angel xx

mama2three
09-03-2012, 07:13 AM
Of course its courtesy to ring - but I would be a little forgiving of the attitude on the phone - I know how tired and stressed i have been after being up all night with a sick child , running round trying to be supermum and nurse all rolled into 1 whilst cleaning up puke and sorting out my others, If someone had rung in the middle they may too have found me rather snappy.
Im sure if asked afterwards to please be a little more thoughtful in future I would have been very apologetic !

miffy
09-03-2012, 07:42 AM
Very poor on mum's part not to let you know and I'd be fuming too but Kath's post made me think so perhaps I wouldn't be too hard on her this time. Mind, if it happened again...................

Miffy xx

FussyElmo
09-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Of course its courtesy to ring - but I would be a little forgiving of the attitude on the phone - I know how tired and stressed i have been after being up all night with a sick child , running round trying to be supermum and nurse all rolled into 1 whilst cleaning up puke and sorting out my others, If someone had rung in the middle they may too have found me rather snappy.
Im sure if asked afterwards to please be a little more thoughtful in future I would have been very apologetic !

I guess you do never know what is happening on the other end of the phone - however I do hope that mum does apologise when she realises just how rude it was.

I think alot of us have had parents not ring when there child is not at school etc I honestly believe that they simply dont think.

My mindee mum texted at 6 this morning to tell me mindee was ill :rolleyes: but in her defense she knew that I would probably have been up :)

caz3007
09-03-2012, 09:06 AM
I had this, went to pick an older child up from school and he didnt come out. I was going out my mind with panic wondering where he was, if he had got past me without me seeing him. Luckily one of my much older mindies popped into the office to find out he hadnt been in school. Rang mum all stressed to just confirm and she was mortified she had forgotten to let me know and turned up with a bunch of flowers later cos I had apologised for being short with her on the phone

bestmum2have
09-03-2012, 09:16 AM
There's never any excuse for being rude, some parents take the biscuit.....

littlegremlins
09-03-2012, 10:14 AM
Thank you for replies. I think mum does have a lot on her plate and maybe didn't get much sleep. She texted me this morning before 9am to tell me he will be at nursery today. I was very put out yesterday when calling that she didn't want to just take responsibility and apologise as I had left a playgroup with two little ones to get to this nursery etc.

It's helped me tighten up the sickness policy so that will help in future avoid any 'forgetfulness'.

catminder
09-03-2012, 10:29 AM
It's a fair point if mum was stressed but I don't really think it's an excuse to be rude to you. Us Childminders get stressed too but we put on a 'professional' face to parents etc.
I've had some parents in the past (my mindees parents at the moment are all lovely), who would of behaved like this. They would of 'forgotten' to inform me when lo was not at school but somehow always remembered when lo was back at school, not out of courtesy but so they knew I would collect them.:(
I hope mum has apologised to you

Mummits
09-03-2012, 12:31 PM
I;ve had the same in the past - forgetting to tell me Lo was ill, that is, not putting the phone down. In that case it was apparently a breakdown in communication between the parents, each thinking the other was going to do it. I do get a bit of that on all sorts of issues - like forgetting to tell me they were going on holiday.

childmind04
09-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Sorry but she would have rang work I presume? so why not you? a text takes seconds, hope she apologises properly when she sees you :)