PDA

View Full Version : Tongs for fruit...

jadavi
08-03-2012, 08:15 PM
My colleague uses tongs for her little ones to help themselves to fruit pieces to prevent spreading germs etc.
Does anyone else do this and any idea where I can get nice child friendly ones?

onceinabluemoon
08-03-2012, 08:16 PM
Nope, My mindees do wash their hands before snack though and are taught to only touch the bits they want.

Trouble with no germs is people don't build up an immunity, there do have to be some...

angeldelight
08-03-2012, 08:18 PM
I thought you meant tongues then for a moment :laughing::laughing:

Angel xx

jadavi
08-03-2012, 08:21 PM
yes I agree but the way my lot maul the fruit is not nice and it seemed an interesting idea...I was impressed that all her very young mindees used the tongs really well. I looked on ebay and wondered if these would be too skinny for banana slices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sweet-Shop-Tongs-X-5-Pic-N-Mix-/190649409161?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item2c63971e89#ht_500wt_900

jadavi
08-03-2012, 08:22 PM
haha...mental pic of mindees with hands tied behind their backs trying to lassoo an apple slice with their tongue!

onceinabluemoon
08-03-2012, 08:24 PM
haha...mental pic of mindees with hands tied behind their backs trying to lassoo an apple slice with their tongue!

Apple bobbing!! KUW PD PRSN CD PD and maybe a little PSED as well! ;)

angeldelight
08-03-2012, 08:25 PM

imagine that :laughing::laughing:

Angel xx

angeldelight
08-03-2012, 08:27 PM
yes I agree but the way my lot maul the fruit is not nice and it seemed an interesting idea...I was impressed that all her very young mindees used the tongs really well. I looked on ebay and wondered if these would be too skinny for banana slices:

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Sweet-Shop-Tongs-X-5-Pic-N-Mix-/190649409161?pt=UK_WSJL_Wholesale_GL&hash=item2c63971e89#ht_500wt_900

Well I have a friend that uses these for her own children

They pick them up with the tongs then drop them back onto the plate then end up using their fingers anyway :laughing::laughing:

Seemed a bit pointless to me but you could always try it .... kids might think its fun ... at first :laughing:

Angel xx

moogster1a
08-03-2012, 09:00 PM
Should we really be fostering the idea in young children's heads that all their friends and all fruit / veg etc. is so germ ridden it has to be handled at arms length with tongs?
Maybe we should autoclave each toy once a child puts it down before another one touches it.

jadavi
08-03-2012, 09:22 PM
Yes I agree and felt it was ott when I first clocked it but then when I saw how they all enjoyed using them and it did the job of clean helping themselves I thought hmmm not bad idea. This was after I saw the minder retrieving some banana that had fallen on the floor and picking off some cat hairs ....

Mouse
08-03-2012, 09:31 PM
I would use them to help the children develop manual dexterity, but not to stop the spread of germs. I think some people sometimes take things too far :rolleyes:

silvermist
08-03-2012, 09:36 PM

Angel xx

:ROFL1:Absolutely hilarious Angel. I just spat my coffee out reading that! :ROFL1:

moogster1a
08-03-2012, 10:07 PM
i just think it's a really depressing attitide to food. ( not to mention irrational; how on earth is using tongs going to prevent cross contamination between children who have been playing with and touching each other all day? ).
children are given many opportunities to practise manual deterity, but not as many at the sensory exploration of food. I'm not talking about making "gloop " which they know is not food, but real stuff, that they touch and smell and feel the texture of.
I would hate to think my children thought fruit needed handling with tongs. It's the same as suggesting they use gloves.

angeldelight
08-03-2012, 10:11 PM
i just think it's a really depressing attitide to food. ( not to mention irrational; how on earth is using tongs going to prevent cross contamination between children who have been playing with and touching each other all day? ).
children are given many opportunities to practise manual deterity, but not as many at the sensory exploration of food. I'm not talking about making "gloop " which they know is not food, but real stuff, that they touch and smell and feel the texture of.
I would hate to think my children thought fruit needed handling with tongs. It's the same as suggesting they use gloves.

Lighten up, its hardly the end of the world if we use them or not

Think of tongues instead, it might make you smile too :laughing:

Angel xx

Demonjill
08-03-2012, 10:12 PM
Nope dont think I would entertain this idea

we all need some germs :thumbsup:

Tatjana
What about all the toys they suck/chew all day long amongst themselves?! Don't see the point of tongs for fruit...or toys.:laughing::laughing::laughing:

angeldelight
Tongues everyone .... smile :laughing:

Angel xx

The Juggler
08-03-2012, 10:14 PM
i won't be getting a pair for fruit handlign myself but if normal tongues are too big what about a tea bag squeezer?

JulieA
09-03-2012, 06:54 AM
i won't be getting a pair for fruit handlign myself but if normal tongues are too big what about a tea bag squeezer?

Just be careful you don't burn your tongue, when squeezing your tea-bags Juggler! :laughing:

I was going to suggest that a pair of sugar tongs might be a better size to handle for little hands.

miffy
09-03-2012, 07:45 AM
Nope, My mindees do wash their hands before snack though and are taught to only touch the bits they want.

What OIABM said!

I like the tongs though but wouldn't use them for fruit, I think it's a bit OTT

Miffy xx

wendywu
09-03-2012, 08:11 AM
Mine play with the tongs out of the doctors kit a lot.

Not for fruit though. They are good just to have in the toy box.:)

caz3007
09-03-2012, 09:39 AM
Hhbehehehe this thread made me laugh especially the lassooing comments. I have had an awful week, so needed a laugh

The Juggler
09-03-2012, 01:05 PM
Just be careful you don't burn your tongue, when squeezing your tea-bags Juggler! :laughing:

I was going to suggest that a pair of sugar tongs might be a better size to handle for little hands.

:laughing::laughing: aaargh I'm blaming Angel for that she put the tongue into my head :laughing:

angeldelight
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
:laughing::laughing: aaargh I'm blaming Angel for that she put the tongue into my head :laughing:

:laughing::laughing:

I did not even notice that you had said that ha ha

Angel xx

jadavi
09-03-2012, 02:35 PM
OK That has decided me thank you
tongs are out then
tongues - the jury's still out :)

dette
09-03-2012, 02:52 PM

Angel xx