PDA

View Full Version : Will Mrs O not mind that I dont have a special nappy changing place?

jadavi
08-03-2012, 07:54 PM
Just visited the setting of my mentor for EYPS and she thinks IO shoud have a place where the babes knpow they wil be changed etc
I prefer not to use up space in mky setting and ten to get the bag out, spread out the mat and change them on the floor wherever we are...also dont like to walk away and leave other mindees to go to the bathroom etc./
Is this likely to be a problem do you think?
(I still make sure its hygenic and wipe over with miltons wipes after)

onceinabluemoon
08-03-2012, 07:58 PM
When I was inspected I pulled the mat out (in front of sofa but with child's bum away from everybody so she had privacy), put my gloves on, changed the child, wiped the mat down and binned the rubbish then washed my hands. Mrs O was suitably impressed. I didn't and still don't go to the bathroom to do it. I do have a change table - and use it as a bookcase...

jadavi
08-03-2012, 07:59 PM
Exactly! I got a changing trolley thing and it makes a lovely storage unit...
thank you!

angeldelight
08-03-2012, 08:01 PM
When I was inspected I pulled the mat out (in front of sofa but with child's bum away from everybody so she had privacy), put my gloves on, changed the child, wiped the mat down and binned the rubbish then washed my hands. Mrs O was suitably impressed. I didn't and still don't go to the bathroom to do it. I do have a change table - and use it as a bookcase...

Yes and I do the same

Clever us hey :clapping:

Angel xx

kel1983
08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
I changed a nappy on the changing mat on the floor when I had my Ofsted Inspection.

Mrs O was happy with that

Tatjana
08-03-2012, 10:17 PM

I do the same, try and give mindees some privacy.

JulieA
09-03-2012, 06:49 AM
Me too! I change them whereever there is space and a little privacy - although the majority of the children want to watch, they get rather excited if someone has had a poo!

jadavi
09-03-2012, 07:14 AM
Ha ha thanks. I also dont use gloves but I know that's ok from another thread.
Thanks for your help x

chez
09-03-2012, 07:52 AM
I take the child up into the bathroom and change them on a mat on the floor in there. We then wash our hands child too.

I started this as I want children to start to understand that the bathroom is the correct place for toileting as they grow up and so I can teach them that we wash our hands after.

I have a small plastic box in the bathroom cupboard with all the childrens nappies in them and gloves and wipes etc. I also have the nappy changing procedure on the outside of the box and a sangenic nappy bin in the bathroom.

My living room is as safe as I can make it and I put the gate on when I leave the mindees but I do leave them, Im going to have to if I have a child that needs help with potty etc so only makes sense that this is no diffrent.

charleyfarley
09-03-2012, 08:11 AM

I did exactly the same thing and my inspector didn't seem to mind :thumbsup:

Carol xx

chez
09-03-2012, 08:31 AM
In all honesty I think the only true answer to will Mrs O mind is it depends which mrs O you get and what the day of the week is. There appears to be little consitancy between them all

VeggieSausage
09-03-2012, 09:25 AM
Yes I did it on the floor which was fine but in my report she mentions that I do not have good hygiene measures in place because I didn't wash the babies hands as well as my own :(

breezy
09-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I do it on the floor too, only comment I've ever had was from 3 yr old boy mindee who when I was changing baby said " I wish I had a nonnie like F, it would be so much fun":eek::laughing:

buzzy bee
09-03-2012, 06:36 PM
When I had my initial Ofsted visit (not grading) she asked where I planned to change nappies and I said in the bathroom. She said what about the other children - wouldn't it be safer if you did it in the same room?

So I do what you do. As others have said I think it will depend on which mrs o you get but I plan to just explain that I do it in the lounge for safety so I can supervise other kids and I just do it in a corner of the room where the children aren't playing for maximum privacy / hygiene. I do it on a mat on laminate and wipe both afterwards.

Playmate
09-03-2012, 08:49 PM
We have a utility room which is set up for changing with a unit and all the nappies and bits are stored out there. One of the reasons we started this was because of the smell:panic: at the time we had 6 in nappies and 1 poo after another got a bit much :laughing: I will say there are 2 of us so supervision is not an issue and if one of us is out we take the bits and peices to wherever the others are playing :D