PDA

View Full Version : Total novice needing some help!!

WeeMacD
08-03-2012, 07:09 PM
Hi everyone,

So I am currently in the process of looking into childminding. I have contacted the SCSWIS for their registration pack. I have had a good look online and on this forum but I still have some questions so here goes...

I have seen people talking about "policies" and for when you have your visit you need to know about all the care standards and aims and objectives etc. Now will all this information be in the registration pack or is it research I need to do on my own.

Also, do I wait until I am registered to apply to SCMA and do their induction training? or should I do it while I wait for registration as I hear it can take a long time.

Basically I need a step to step guide of what happens when ( i like to be organised) anyone know of a thread/website that details such a thing!

Sorry for the rambling, any help would be MUCH appreciated as i'm bit lost!:panic:

mollywendy
08-03-2012, 08:04 PM
really think hard for you do childminder its not as roses as it sound unless you like doing loads of paper work.:)

candy cat
08-03-2012, 08:44 PM
on a more positive note:laughing:......... it is a very rewarding job and obviously liking children helps :).....yes to start with there is a lot of paperwork,but as long as you keep on top of it its not too bad . Good luck cx

candy cat
08-03-2012, 08:46 PM
p.s you need to plan how you want to run your business .....you need to do your own policies and procedures, risk assessments etc

silvermist
08-03-2012, 10:00 PM
There are loads of policy templates on Bromley Childminding website, its very useful as you can adapt them to suit your setting. There is loads of advice on this forum too, someone will always come along and help. Good luck x

Kirsteen
09-03-2012, 12:14 PM
hi there ;)

i went through the registration process last year. It is incredibly daunting at the beginning but if you go one step at a time you will get there. Can i advise you contact your local council and find out what they offer for minders. Some of them have funding to run pre-registration training courses, help with the process, etc. Also some can part fund setting up costs and can get you access to first aid training, etc, and anything else you need to get going. They will keep you right each step of the way if that's available in your area. Next thing is to have a really good read of your application pack when it comes and jot down anything you are not sure about. Re policies and procedures...if you google this you will dig up templates somewhere you can use...but don't do a straight copy...personalise them for your own business. And while you are doing all of the above think about what the aims and objectives of your service would be and what you want to offer. Hope that helps to get you going, and feel free to come back and ask further on in the process if you are not sure. :)

The Juggler
09-03-2012, 12:58 PM
my best advice is to speak to some local minders and the local development officer if there is on (contact the local early years team to find out and they might speak to some local minders for you to see if they'd be up for a chat). The DO should be able to tell you what work is like locally, if there is loads of work or if lots of minders have vacancies.

Alternatively ask the local children's centre/surestart manager if you can attend a CM group and speak to them.

Ask them what they love about the job, what they don't like, how they manage the paperwork/family life. If it was the right decision for them - if yes, why, if not, why not.

Good luckx

sarah707
09-03-2012, 02:26 PM
Speak to your local people first - find out about course availability - they will give you advice about when to apply as it does vary by area.

Good luck! :clapping:

WeeMacD
10-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Thank you all very much. I have contacted council and they do have a grant, but it is only for "safety equipment" which I have most of stairgates, smokealarms fitted to mains etc. It is not for start up costs like they say it is, such as extra highchair etc.

I have spoken to CMs that are close by, they are full and still have people phoning them so I'm taking this as a good sign.

I am keen on doing the SCMA induction programme, anyone any experience of this? and whether it is worth while?

Also re first aid, must you attend certain courses? My husband is a paramedic and can get me onto infant first aid/resuscitation courses these are ran by the ambulance service, so was just wondering if they need to be specific ones, such as red cross.

danasdaycare
10-03-2012, 06:21 PM
Yes, I have had experience of SCMA induction course and did find it useful to be on whilst doing my application. Some CM's had completed their application before though.

The first aid course needs to be tailored to be child and baby specific. Then to be updated every 3 years, sure one by ambulance service is perfect.

Good luck :thumbsup: