PDA

View Full Version : one out one in

Helen Dempster
08-03-2012, 12:55 PM
I've got a mindee leaving me at the end of April - I'm going to really miss him :( Originally, I was only going to have him for 6wks, but he's been with me for nearly 2 years. Anyway, I've already got another mindee starting to fill his place, a lil' girl aged almost 3 years. She starts in May, parents coming round on Sunday to sign paperwork etc.

I've just been to soft play with mindee and saw new parent/mindee there, but she was so shy - didn't like me at all LOL. I tried talking to her and acting the fool, and I did get some positive reactions (giggling etc) from her. I'm just a bit worried now...how would you make her feel at ease on Sunday when they come round? I don't want to put her off, bless her. Should I just let her come to me, or try reeling her in with a few activities?

sarah707
08-03-2012, 01:09 PM
They often act like that when they are with parents - but are perfectly fine when they are with me on their own.

I'd play it by ear on Sunday and reassure parents that it's normal!

Good luck :D

Mouse
08-03-2012, 01:14 PM
I've found that children are often suspicious of us when they see us out & about, but have no problem at all with us when they see us where we should be...ie. in our homes!

I would be quite laid back & let lo come to you. I tend to sit playing with something while I'm talking to parents and often find the children come over themselves to see what I'm doing. Much easier for them than me being in their face trying to pull them to join in :p

onceinabluemoon
08-03-2012, 01:47 PM
Bless! Glad you have replaced the leaver, thats always good :)

WRT the little ones reaction, try not to worry about it, it's pretty normal for them to be a little bit wary.

I've been minding a (now) one year old since he was six months. I went to his first birthday party and he was really weird with me, he didn't feel right theta I was in the wrong place I think. he did warm to me after a while and I'm sure your LO will too. :) Good luck

miffy
08-03-2012, 05:00 PM
Don't worry about lo's reaction, just give her time and let her make the first move on Sunday.

Good luck

Miffy xx