PDA

View Full Version : How do you support breast feeding mums?

Maza
07-03-2012, 10:57 PM
I'm about to take on an eight month old. At the moment he is still breast fed (is on solids and all going well). Mum said she is going to try him on formula so that she can send him to me with formula (her idea). He will take expressed milk in a bottle when he is with dad, so no issues regarding taking a bottle. I'm more than happy to support her with the breast feeding and just wondered how you guys do it?

I will have him from 8am - 6pm three days a week so he will definitely need milk whilst with me. Do any of your mums bring expressed milk for you to give their child throughout the day? What are the current rules regarding storing it?

Thank you! x

tess1981
07-03-2012, 11:03 PM
If a parent gives me breast milk for the child i am more than happy to take it. i store it in the fridge (4 degrees or lower) and warm it to body temp when child wants it. any unused milk is sent home with the parent each evening but you can store it in the fridge for up to 2 weeks but any thing with out a date stamped on it freaks me out a little :panic:
explain to parent if she wants you will continue giving the child breast milk maybe parent is waiting for you to offer :)
hth

JulieA
08-03-2012, 07:18 AM
One of my mum's returned to work still breastfeeding. She used to drop off and sit in the playroom to feed him before she left (I was paid from when she turned up) and again at the end of the day for collection. On a Monday she would bring me a cool bag with frozen bags of milk, which I stored in a separate drawer in the freezer, and used as I needed it. Any left overs was sent home in the same coolbag at the end of the week.

I have to say mum did choose me because of the support I gave her, and I am pleased to say that I also have the younger sibling too now.

QualityCare
08-03-2012, 09:27 AM
Same as above but this mum also worked close enough to come and feed at lunch time as well.

Becci26
08-03-2012, 09:37 AM
My mum expresses and sends it in a bottle which I keep in the fridge until needed and then warm through.
Have got a mum coming to visit me this pm who only BF's but said she will prob use formula but I am trying to encourage her to express as it's what baby is used to and happy with hth xx

Zoomie
08-03-2012, 10:05 AM
I BF all my children, the first two I went back to work at 3m and 4.5m. I expressed at work for DS1 for 6 months (so till he was 9m), with DS2 I expressed for 3 months (so till he was 7.5m). I then topped DS2 up with formula because I found it too stressful getting my 'quota' of milk out.

Anyway, I used to express at work, and keep it cool in a cooler box. I only worked mornings, so it went straight into the freezer when I got home.

I built up a supply of about 3-5 days in the freezer, so that I always had a buffer if I had a really stressful day (it was a stressful job, plus two small children).

Anyway, I would take a bottle out of the freezer in the evening, put it in the fridge and then take it to the childminder in a cooler bag the next morning. She would keep it in fridge till needed, warm it up etc etc.

The Juggler
08-03-2012, 11:11 AM
i have a form for new starter babies/toddlers asking mums about their feeding/weaning breastfeeding and asking if they wish to supply expressed milk, wish to visit to breastfeed at lunchtime (if they work close) or come here to express.

It's never happened but I would happily accommodate if need be. Not sure of rules on storing expressed milk but imagine it's the same as storing normal milk but probably no longer than 24 hours?