PDA

View Full Version : Do you sterilise mindees bottles?

Maza
07-03-2012, 10:48 PM
Am about to take on my first bottle fed mindee (always had older ch'n before) and was wondering if you all sterilise their bottles or whether the parents bring sterilised bottles with them. If you do sterilise, which method do you use? Do you also wash the bottles before they go home?

Thanks. x

tess1981
07-03-2012, 10:53 PM
i just ask parents to send in enough sterilised bottles to do me that day. I wash them out after i finished with them and put them back into the bag... parents sterilise them at home usually but it really up to you

mama2three
08-03-2012, 07:08 AM
My parents provided 4 bottles and a microwave steam steriliser , and tins of formula.

chez
08-03-2012, 07:22 AM
I used to get the mum of our baby mindee to bring all his stuff but one day she forgot the bottles and I did not realise until we were at toddler group and he was screaming for his bottle.

I had to leave baby with my assistant and run down to boots where I had to buy bottles and of course because they wouldnt have been sterlised I had to buy a sterliser even tho I had one at home. From that day Ive decided that I rely on no one regarding their childs day and I provide everything or at least have spare everything. So I provide the bottles and sterlise them each day mum brings the powered milk but I have spare. She brings hat gloves but I have spare and she brings bibs but I have spare. In fact shes recently stopped sending bibs hat and gloves every time now and often forgets.

miffy
08-03-2012, 07:43 AM
Parents have always sent bottles but I do wash them before I send them home.

Miffy xx

sarah707
08-03-2012, 07:47 AM
The Eyfs does require you to have the facility to sterilise bottles and the current advice is to ensure they are sterilised up to age 1.

You can do it by completely submerging them in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.

Or you can cold water sterilise them in Milton (follow instructions on the bottle).

I ask parents to send sterilised bottles but in emergency I would happily sterilise them here.

I always give them a rinse out after use.

Hth :D

PixiePetal
08-03-2012, 07:48 AM
I ask for sterilised bottles to be provided but keep some milton here in case. Rinse out and send home

catminder
08-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I have always had sterilised bottles brought by parents but I wouldn't mind sterilising them myself if necessary :)

flowerpots
08-03-2012, 07:55 AM
I ask for sterilised bottles to be provided but keep some milton here in case. Rinse out and send home

^^^ Same. :D

rickysmiths
08-03-2012, 08:08 AM
The Eyfs does require you to have the facility to sterilise bottles and the current advice is to ensure they are sterilised up to age 1.

You can do it by completely submerging them in a pan of boiling water for 10 minutes.

Or you can cold water sterilise them in Milton (follow instructions on the bottle).

I ask parents to send sterilised bottles but in emergency I would happily sterilise them here.

I always give them a rinse out after use.

Hth :D

I do exactly this. Milton tablets in the cupboard :thumbsup:

However I also have a Platex bottle with disposable liners which I keep in an emergency bag which goes out with me. No need to sterilise because the liners are sterile. If I have a child of that age I make sure I take a sterile teet out with me as well but it is easy to sterilse that in milton.

I don't have a steriliser and never have I used milton and cold water for my children.

loocyloo
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
i have a couple of steriliser bags that sterilise one bottle in the microwave. i also have a couple of bottles and teats for emergencies. i usually try and have a carton of ready made formula for emergencies too!

i ask parents to send sterlised bottles and either measured powder or if they come for more than one day a week, i keep a box of formula here. i then rinse out bottles and send them home.

rickysmiths
08-03-2012, 08:52 AM
i have a couple of steriliser bags that sterilise one bottle in the microwave. i also have a couple of bottles and teats for emergencies. i usually try and have a carton of ready made formula for emergencies too!

i ask parents to send sterlised bottles and either measured powder or if they come for more than one day a week, i keep a box of formula here. i then rinse out bottles and send them home.

Are you aware that once the box of formula is opened it must be used in 4 weeks?

loocyloo
08-03-2012, 09:07 AM
Are you aware that once the box of formula is opened it must be used in 4 weeks?

yes. the boxes of formula i have had most recently had 2 packets inside that i date when opened and once 4 weeks is up, i throw away the packet if any is left.

The Juggler
08-03-2012, 11:16 AM
i have the facilities to sterlise bottles BUT it is not part of the service I offer. If I get marked down for that then so be it. I will take sterilised bottles, store them in the fridge and make up feeds as necessary

manjay
08-03-2012, 12:51 PM
I use the Mam self sterilising ones which I sterilise myself. This then eliminates any doubt from my mind that the bottle has been sterilised effectively before I use it. Personal choice I know but that is what I do. I started doing this after Mum didn't send the lid of lo's bottle one day as it was 'lost'. This meant that obviously the bottle wasn't sterile on it's journey to me and I wasn't able to shake the bottle to make the feed effectively.

onceinabluemoon
08-03-2012, 07:54 PM
I have a steam steriliser and sterilise the baby bottles myself, I also provide the bottles and the formula. This way I know i always have it because I've had mums turn up without in before and then had to go down town to buy a bottle and milk!

JulieA
09-03-2012, 07:10 AM
I have a microwave steriliser which I use. I also provide the bottles but ask mum's to provide the teats before baby starts with me. Mum's also provide the formula powder too. I write the date opened on the lid.

Maza
09-03-2012, 09:02 AM
Thanks everyone. Mum has said she is going to buy some bottles and leave them at my house, so I guess I will be sterilising. She also said she would provide a steriliser, bless her. I said not to as I'm happy to sort it out. Was just wondering how long a bottle is sterile for once it has been sterilised...

funemnx
09-03-2012, 02:01 PM
An interesting thread.

I had my first son in 1981 and sterilised his bottles until 10 months when went to cows milk from a beaker. His brother was born in 1982 in U.S.A. and I was told by the Doctor that there was no need to sterilise bottles (breasts aren't sterile). So for sons 2, 3 and 4 I never sterilised anything. The bottles and teats were washed in hot, soapy water and rinsed. None of my children ever had any problems....

I'm not saying don't sterilise, just that I didn't!

blue bear
09-03-2012, 07:23 PM
I was told on a food hygiene course it's better to put bottles in hot wash in dishwasher as it's hotter than steriliser and more guaranteed germs are eliminated. Need to make sure teats are inside basket or mug to stop them floating above water though.

I've not done this myself.