PDA

View Full Version : I'm such a perfectionist

JCrakers
07-03-2012, 07:27 PM
Sent out 6 parent questionnaires last week as ofsted are coming. I did a few questions which parents have to score 1-5. I've had 5 back and waiting for 1 tomorrow.
4 of the parents have marked me 5 in all questions :D but 1 parent who I have known for 4yrs has put a 4 under communication.....I'm gutted.
I know I'm being stupid but I'm worried now that she's not put a 5...lol
Things are going round in my head...what have I said? Do I not communicate properly with her?
Out of all the parents I thought I got on with her the best..lol

:angry: get the gin and tonic out...lol

sarah707
07-03-2012, 07:43 PM
Wow you got 4 out of 5 back! I hardly ever have that kind of success rate!

Don't fret about it... just ask her how she would like you to improve the service you offer with an interested look on your face :D

kellib
07-03-2012, 07:51 PM
I agree with Sarah, I'd just ask her if there was anything you weren't doing that she wanted you to in terms of communication. You'll probably find she can't think of anything! :thumbsup:

TooEarlyForGin?
07-03-2012, 08:43 PM
You could turn it into quite a positive really. Have a chat to her. Then tell Mrs
O when she comes that a parent had put a 4 on her questionnaire and what steps you are taking to improve communications. Gives you something to shine about to show how you work well with parents.

littletreasures
07-03-2012, 08:52 PM
My parent who I have looked after her children for 9 years never gives me full marks for everything.

She says "Nobody's perfect, but I'm very close" :laughing::laughing::laughing:

There is nothing she wants me to improve on and always thanks me for everything I do for her family.

Perhaps this parent's the same.

You should be thrilled you got so many questionnaires back and got such good feedback. Well done xxx

The Juggler
07-03-2012, 10:10 PM
lol hon, getting 4's is ace! but that's why I don't do grading systems, I just ask them what they think so they have to write something :laughing::laughing: just had a lovely one back from a mum who is Head of early years/reception at primary school. she was really complimentary

Tealady
07-03-2012, 11:11 PM
I would ask her for feedback. Or it might be the psycological (sp?) matter that some people don't like to give a perfect score

miffy
08-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I'd follow that up and ask her what you can do to improve and use that as evidence for Ofsted.

I have one parent who always puts that she would like me to collect from after school activities despite the fact that she knows full well why I can't do that! :rolleyes:

Miffy xx

Carol M
08-03-2012, 08:02 AM
Well done you :thumbsup:
Get some feedback from her, ask how she thinks you can improve communication between you and you may be able to change a small aspect of your practice and show OFSTED you are acting on these questionnaires and working in partnership.
It amazes me some of the comments I have had but I always address them, sometimes I alter to accomodate, others I do not but always discuss with parents their comments.
Carol xx

MAWI
08-03-2012, 08:22 AM
Did you put a box for any other comments? She could have elaborated and then you could improve(doesn't sound like you need to though) or action something she said and that shows Ofsted that you've take her views into account and your working in partnership.

I had one parent who Id looked after her son from 8 months and she put in the questionnaire that she felt disengaged from her son and the school pick up because she did not receive any feedback from the teacher(they dont give feedback after school, they just come out the gates) so she just scored me as a 3!!! I couldn't believe it. The only way to solve it was for her to collect him after school apparently. The bottom line was she felt so guilty about not being there after school for him, in the end she changed her working hours, however it reflected on my questionnaire. Sometimes you can't account for others feelings or change some external factors.

I wouldn't worry too much hun:).

stardust
08-03-2012, 08:39 AM
Sounds silly but I only ever put one before the highest on any questionnaire simply because I feel that by putting a 5 or 10 people then become complacent and you can always improve. Anyone running a business should always be aiming higher regardless of what's already in place. Maybe she feels the same.
I know a lot of people that give top marks because they worrie about their comments effecting their child's care/ service they receive.
I don't think you have anything to worrie about with a 4 if it was a 2 or 3 I'd be worried. Put as a next step to continue improvement that you will ask mum what she feels is needed to push you up to a 5, the ask and doccument her comments and implement them.
It could be she would like to see learning diary more often or more information about the child's day (activity wise).
It is better that she has given you a 4 and you can show you are trying to improve to a 5 rather than be all 5's plus its easy enough to improve and evidence x Ofsted will give you better marks for showing a 'area/issue' you are improving/ have improved on as they can use it as evidence you are aware and know how to evaluate and take steps to improve your practice xx

JCrakers
08-03-2012, 11:59 AM
Thanks everyone...i know im being silly but still a little thought in the back of my mind.
I got some fab feedback form her in the comment box so maybe she just isnt one for putting full marks down.
I did feel a bit awkward giving the questionnaires out as this is the first time Ive done a 1-5 scale one. As soon as id posted them out I wondered what I would do if i got a low score of someone because we are all so close.
And then I wondered if parents would feel bad about putting anything low so might feel they have to put a high score.
Anyway, I know Ive earnt the 5's and got a fantastic comment from another parent today it nearly brought a tear to my eye :D

The Juggler
08-03-2012, 01:35 PM
Thanks everyone...i know im being silly but still a little thought in the back of my mind.
I got some fab feedback form her in the comment box so maybe she just isnt one for putting full marks down.
I did feel a bit awkward giving the questionnaires out as this is the first time Ive done a 1-5 scale one. As soon as id posted them out I wondered what I would do if i got a low score of someone because we are all so close.
And then I wondered if parents would feel bad about putting anything low so might feel they have to put a high score.
Anyway, I know Ive earnt the 5's and got a fantastic comment from another parent today it nearly brought a tear to my eye :D

i think the actual comments speak volumes. Though have to say I think one of my questions is worded wrongly. I've asked if information is enough/too much and parent has replied adequate. I'm sure she just means it's enough but am sure Mrs O might read that as it's not good enough :laughing::laughing: