PDA

View Full Version : Yr 4 and maths

Gracie's mamma
07-03-2012, 03:42 PM
Could you tell me the level year 4's are in at maths

Should they be able to do coloum addition,subtraction, multiplication ?

what times table should they know

should they be able to easily do division ??

Please help

mama2three
07-03-2012, 04:00 PM
This is a great website for practicing maths , these sheets are all aimed at year 4s. hth
http://urbrainy.com/maths/year-4-age-8-9?&gclid=CKCfwPaT1a4CFQUOfAode17sdg

Milli147
07-03-2012, 04:06 PM
Yes to all you mentioned, and all times tables except 12's have been learnt now in my childs yr4 class.

jumping j
07-03-2012, 08:02 PM
Hi I taught Year 4 for a while and it depends what mahs 'scheme' the children are following. There's at least 2 I 'had' to follow and both were quite different in what they expected children to know (Target Maths and Abacus both work alongside the national curriculum)
By the end of year 4 children could do column addition and most could do column subtraction, but being able to do it doesn't mean they understood it!
The way I was taught to do multiplication and division isn't the same as the way they are taught now they used a method called 'chunking' when I was teaching but most could do basic division and knew all their times tables.
At the other end of the scale I also did one to one tutoring for year 5 and 6's who still hadn't got a grasp on any of these things!
I've still got all my books and could find them out if you want a proper idea on what they should be doing.

Gracie's mamma
07-03-2012, 08:31 PM
Thank you all as ever

Just had parents evening and she's kinda on the ball - i'm probally just a pushy mum who wants her child to be the best :panic:

catminder
07-03-2012, 09:37 PM
Have you tried looking on the BBC Bitesize website. It's good for all ages and has lessons and questions to answer.

jumping j
08-03-2012, 08:40 AM
also try primary resources, they have resources and worksheets to download for free