PDA

View Full Version : equality, diversity, inclusion

mamma_mia
07-03-2012, 01:22 PM
just doing a bit course work as im off today. ive been asked to write a little bit on a few cases to show what would have to be done to promote equality, diversity and inclusion. just wondering about this one, i dont know an awful lot about muslims. how long does the pray thing take? this is the case study any way if anyone can help that would be great.

You are manager of a busy nursery school and you have just hired Afia, a bright and friendly new room leader. Afia is a practising Muslim and has regular after-lunch and mid-afternoon prayer times. She needs a quiet room for prayer at these times

also im wondering if you employ a muslim who needs time to pray each day are you required to let the person have the extra time paid or should they have to use some of their break time?

Tatjana
07-03-2012, 01:58 PM
I believe Islamic prayers change according to sunrise/sunset etc so would vary depending on where you are in the world.

mamma_mia
07-03-2012, 02:16 PM
I believe Islamic prayers change according to sunrise/sunset etc so would vary depending on where you are in the world.

it has the requirements for the fictional Afia lol in the case study so i assume that this person has set prayer times :huh: thats me shrug shoulders i dunno stance lol dont think there an itching me head emoticon thingy lol.
]regular after-lunch and mid-afternoon prayer times[/B] would any employer have to allow the preson extra break time for it? i know human rights state • freedom of thought, conscience and religion, and freedom to express your beliefs but i dont know what an employer needs to do to ensure the rights of this person. im sure if i worked at the nursery id be mad that someone was allowed extra breaks if you see what i mean. though i do understand everyone has the right to their own beliefs

mamma_mia
07-03-2012, 04:45 PM
well i found out the answer so thought id post it

You do not have to give your employees time off and facilities for religious observance but you should try to do so when possible. For example, if you get a request for a prayer room and there is a suitable room available, you should allow staff to use it, provided it does not disrupt others

sarah707
07-03-2012, 06:17 PM
There's something in the Equality Act 2010 about facilities for and time off for prayers.

You will find more information on the ACAS website here -

http://www.acas.org.uk/index.aspx?articleid=1856

Hth :D

mamma_mia
07-03-2012, 06:21 PM
thankyou for the information, ive handed work in now so if its wrong i will be able to use those thankyou again xxx