PDA

View Full Version : Feeling down :(

child_friendly
07-03-2012, 12:31 PM
Don't know where to start....I have just become a registered childminder which is great and have been waiting ages for it to come, but i'm struggling at the moment with money issues etc. The only money i have myself coming in is for my son and goes on my son and the money coming in from my partner goes on rent and bills and we lucky if we have much left at the end. I'm in debt with the bank so am paying that off each month plus paying other things off so don't have any money to general things to go towards my childminding- got things to buy such as first aid kit etc. :( Am feeling really disheartened as it seems to go in circles. Plus its my son's 1st birthday monday so have spent a bit on that. I just don't know where or how i'm going to get my childminding business going. I am not officially open yet, but will be from next week and am advertising for people, but haven't had anything yet. I'm just feeling down and don't know where to turn..I don't want to loan money off anyone coz that will get me in more debt etc. Sorry for waffling on etc, just wanted to get it off my chest. :( I don't even have money to do printing for advertising etc....I'll stop going on now.....:blush:

miffy
07-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Sorry you're feeling down - it can be tough getting work to start with. If you can't afford advertising then make sure you tell everyone you meet that you are a newly registered childminder. If you have local shops then sometimes a card in their window is reasonably cheap.

Perhaps see if you can get some part time evening work a couple of nights a week so your partner could look after your son and you could earn some money until the childminding picks up.

Miffy xx

child_friendly
07-03-2012, 01:01 PM
Evening work would be hard as my partner does evenings and late nights as well as during the days- his shifts aren't always the same and they are always changing them.

miffy
07-03-2012, 01:04 PM
Does he work weekends also?

Miffy xx

Tink
07-03-2012, 01:06 PM
I felt like this a while ago as business was very slow and not heard anything for ages. Money was also tight and it was covering two wages. Hope fully things will pick up for you and you will be able to get back on your feet.

Ask local parents if they have any toys their children don't use any more, or have a look in your local charity shop always a bargain in there.

If you have children your self and drop off and pick up from school make sure you speak to the mums in the playground get yourself known and good luck things will brighten up for you xx

child_friendly
07-03-2012, 01:11 PM
Yea Miffy he works most days and i never know what he's working in advance. Yea hopefully things will pick up.

catlyn
07-03-2012, 01:13 PM
freecycle is great for unwanted toys ...i ot a lot of mine of fthere and I also offer my unwanted ones back...vista print do cheap ...sometimes free....business card printing (you pay postage) maybe you could get some of those and hand them out??

Nikki125
07-03-2012, 01:28 PM
some websites are free to advertise on and i always phone my local council when i have a vancancy and they will advertise for you aswell, free of charge.

The Juggler
07-03-2012, 01:52 PM
is there anythign you don't need you can boot sale/e-bay to make some money.

or look into jobs you can do from your home maybe in the evenings?

carli
09-04-2012, 11:47 PM
Sorry you're feeling down Child Friendly....I am sort of in the same boat at mo, I tryed numerous places to get a grant or financial help for start up but had literally either just missed the deadline for grants or just got told they have stopped any financial help!! This may not be the solution for you, but I have took the risk of getting my stuff from my catalogue on a 'Buy now pay next year'....I did panic at first but decided to do it and stay positive about it... I try and put a few pounds away to cover the payment next year, just in case business is slow, but trying to keep a positive head on things.... I was lucky enough to have some toys given to me etc from my own children who were getting shut of their childrens old toys that were still in perfect condition...some people have gone to car boot sales or e-bay to get stuff. I hope things pick up for you very soon, chin up! x

flowerpots
10-04-2012, 05:19 AM
Just wanted to send :group hug:, really spread the word about your childminding and hopefully you will get some little mindees soon and things will get better. :thumbsup:

JulieA
10-04-2012, 06:20 AM
Find out where your local childmiding group is and go along and introduce yourself. I used to attend with my own child and no mindees when I first started. Here we pass on each others details if we get requests we can't fill. Also ensure you are on your local authority FIS list.

Make a small poster for your front window and another to stick in your car window for free advertising.

With regards to toys it is car boot weather now and you can get some really good cheap toys which just need a good scrub when you get them home. Try your local library for books - ours sells decommissioned books for 20p each.

Don't buy too many toys to start with, just use stuff from around the house - wooden spoons, corks, milk bottle tops, jugs etc.

Good luck, and don't be disheartened.

jane5
10-04-2012, 07:07 PM
Put your details on childcare.co.uk and netmums for free and contact family information service.

I have had all my calls from these 3 places.

When you get your first lo signed up you could buy toys or equipment out of the deposit and 1st months fee's.

It is really disheartening at first and I wondered whether I would get any lo's but thankfully the phone started ringing and I have been full from the start and I often have to pass enquiries on to others.

I will keep my fingers crossed for you :thumbsup:

silvermist
10-04-2012, 07:12 PM
Just sending you a big hug. Hope things get better for you soon. xx

Bear23
10-04-2012, 07:38 PM
hugs, things will get better, its just really hard at the start xxx

child_friendly
11-04-2012, 10:16 AM
Things are still as they were...still no mindees!!! I have advertised everywhere such as childcare.co.uk, netmums, gumtree, local newsagent, local library, given details to friends and family, own website, own fb page, put poster in local tesco, in local childrens centres etc. I don't have a childminding group here as they have recently stopped doing it as no one attends. I take my own son to toddler groups etc. Have got a few toys already so not really worried about that atm just everything else. I need an income coming in and there is not any jobs i can do that work around my son as my partner works full time and there are no evening jobs going atm.

Also we are thinking about relocating from devon to sheffield at the end of this year and i am thinking about suspending my registration. So am wondering whether it is best to suspend it now and re start when i move as i don't have any mindees atm??? Any ideas? Advice will be greatly appreciated. Would i be able to do this? I know i need an income coming, but i don't think it would be fair if took on mindee for few months then had to tell them they'll have to find someone else.

I am really going round in circles at the moment and don't really know what to do for the best. I really do need an income coming to help my partner out and for me to feel less useless. :(

loocyloo
11-04-2012, 02:24 PM
can you get a tshirt or fleece and put CHILDMINDER on it? then people will at least know that you are not just another mummy.

good luck x