PDA

View Full Version : Eggs from garden...?

greenfields
06-03-2012, 03:07 PM
I've just been told by a friend who works at a local creche, that I can't use eggs from my garden hens, for cooking (for mindees). Apparently eggs have to be stamped.
The eggs are fresh, hens in excellent health and condition and fed on quality feed so this just seems like madness to me. Also, how come a pub/restraunt advertise at the bar that the eggs they use are from their own hens? Surely children may have lunch there too.

So I've just deleted the 'fresh eggs used' info. on my page but I'm wondering should I have..? I'd be more than happy knowing my children were having meals cooked with fresh ingredients.

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 03:35 PM
I can't see a problem. Why don't you phone your local Environmental Health Officer and ask for their advise?

snufflepuff
06-03-2012, 04:18 PM
I can't see why it would be a problem...they are certainly fresher than shop bought, even those advertised as 'fresh' can be a week old by the time they reach the shops anyway!!! Can't beat proper fresh free range eggs- we get them from OH's Dad now and again and they taste amazing!

catminder
06-03-2012, 04:24 PM
I would think they would be fine but good advice to contact Environmental Health to advise.

sarahjane
06-03-2012, 04:43 PM
Something I've not thought of and probably wouldn't have, I use fresh unstamped eggs from my friends farm, they are so much nicer and as others have said, much fresher. I wouldn't worry about it personally :)

greenfields
06-03-2012, 05:19 PM
I'm wondering if SIL's boss (who runs teh creche) is looking for fault. I'm not registered yet so didn't really want to contact anyone official. But I'm going to put the picture back up now. I have been told that eggs are 2wks old by the time they get to the shelves of a supermarket. :eek:

sarah707
06-03-2012, 06:03 PM
I would ask Environmental Health - they will be able to tell you the official answer :D

~Chelle~
06-03-2012, 07:19 PM
I have seen this somewhere before. Apparently it is to do with salmonella that MAY be on the shell of the eggs. Apparently stamped Eggs are treated with something to stop this contamination.

Here is a link with some information about eating your own eggs.

http://community.babycenter.com/post/a23889379/is_it_safe_to_eat_fresh_eggs_from_chickens_that_th e_cooked_but_not_pasteurized_during_pregnancy

Ripeberry
06-03-2012, 07:47 PM
I can't see a problem. Why don't you phone your local Environmental Health Officer and ask for their advise?

When I was inspected my local environmental health officer told me NOT to use my own eggs for mindees when at my home. But they had no problem with me giving/selling the eggs to the parents :)

dobby
06-03-2012, 07:56 PM
Its one of these contentious issues. Environmental health will check defra guidelines which relate to large scale egg production, where of course you want eggs from hens that have been vaccinated, washed and date stamped. Home hens may or may not have been vaccinated (but even if they have, the vaccines often have only a years llife as battery hens don't live longer) , egg washing is not advised as eggs are porous so can actually wash the bacteria into the egg (quick wipe is ok) and I "date stamp" mine by writing the date on with pencil
My parents fight over my eggs. My hens are kept in good conditions, fed a high quality diet and eggs are fresher than anything you could get in a shop. I have "risk assessed " in terms of diarising worming treatments and having all the usual cleaning and healthcare regimes. Mrs Ofsted loved it:)

jumpinjen
06-03-2012, 08:01 PM
Oh purleeeeze....... give me a break - this is the elf and safety police all over again - sensible precautions taken just as anyone would - I never had any problem using my own eggs for mindees baking and meals and yes parents loved them too!

Jen x

Helen Dempster
06-03-2012, 09:14 PM
I've used my hens eggs for my own and minded children - they're much nicer and fresher, you know where they've been, how the hens are looked after etc etc. I don't see a problem, and I will continue using my own hens eggs!

aly
06-03-2012, 09:21 PM
I phoned cssiw and my local council before getting my hens to ask if theres any reason I couldnt give eggs and they said no...as long as everyhting was ok with hens etc.

uf353432
06-03-2012, 10:21 PM
one of my parents pays me for her sons lunch each week with 12 eggs from her farm, they are yummy and I don't plan on changing that.

babs
06-03-2012, 11:09 PM
i buy my eggs from local shop not stamped never buy from supermarket ..

fluff1975
06-03-2012, 11:12 PM
Its ridiculous that we even need to be asking such questions, and I mean no offence to the op when I say that. Just a sad reflection of the times we're in.

We don't keep hens but if we did I would use the eggs and I'd fight it to the end if challenged. We absolutely must not let common sense be swept away.

Ripeberry
06-03-2012, 11:14 PM
I need to get some new hens this spring. Mine are past it, or they are laying in a secret place as by now I should be having eggs everyday :rolleyes:

singlewiththree
07-03-2012, 07:47 AM
As long as the eggs are thoroughly cooked and not a dippy egg, and you regularly treat your hens for pestiticies and worm them I can't see it being a problem. I've been told no and yes with environmental health so now use my own judgement

son77
08-03-2012, 09:58 PM
I reckon you will be ok to use your eggs then :jump for joy:

moogster1a
08-03-2012, 10:43 PM
Ripeberry they might just be having their winter rest. hens tend to stop laying during shorter daylight days then kick off again inSpring. Mine have just started again after a 3 month hiatus

greenfields
31-03-2012, 08:18 AM
Well this thread kicked off didn't it! (Hello Son!) :)
I agree with you all. You should see my chickens - they recieve regular worming and de-lousing treatment. Their run and coop is kept very clean and disinfected with Stolasan. I have an 'eggskelter' which stores the eggs in order of freshness. I don't need to wash my eggs, they are clean and I am aware that bacteria can get thorugh the shell anyway with our efforts of keeping the shell clean.

My inspector has told me to contact environmental health, she is unsure if I can use the eggs due to samonella issues. I did challenge it. She said she agrees with me but she does not make the decisions on this. I have e-mailed and called environmental health and haven't been able to speak to anyone about it and I haven't had a reply to my e-mail.

Like I said to the inspector, we'd better not give children fruit or vegetables either because just think, potatoes being grown in the ground and then we are feeding dirty potatoes to children. How disgusting! :p

Ripeberry
31-03-2012, 09:07 AM
In the recent warm weather they have gone mad laying again, so plenty of eggs now :thumbsup:

Helen Dempster
31-03-2012, 01:57 PM
I used to feed my chickens eggs to my own DS and mindees. Unfortunately, I don't have chickens anymore, but if I did, I wouldn't think twice about it. You know where the eggs come from, you're more in control I think and they taste (and look) much healthier than shop bought ones, in my opinion.