PDA

View Full Version : Why summary assessments?

Trpta108
06-03-2012, 02:50 PM
This might be a really stupid question, but why do we do summary assessments? When I do obs, I link to area of learning and stage and write a little note about what they are learning and then next steps. I email all this to parents and ask for comments and for observations from home. Does that not cover everything or am I missing something?

EmmaReed84
06-03-2012, 02:55 PM
I do an assessment between every 6-12 weeks, depending on their ages. This is an overall summary of my obs and outlines what I want to bring on more, and what my nexts steps are in general.

That way it is clear why I am doing certain activities and it links to my planning and writing certain obs etc. Also I don't like ALL obs to EYFS sometime I just write them up and keep them, then if I feel I may not have covered something or a child has not shown something in an activity I can re read my obs and cross reference it

rosebud
06-03-2012, 04:30 PM
I don't do summative assessments unless the child is leaving to move on to a new setting. I do one then so that the new setting can use it as the child's "starting points".

Mollymop
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
I do summery reports at the end of every term. It links everything together nicely. I send a copy home with the child's LJ folder, for them to keep. I think it makes more sense to parents sometimes than looking at all my obs and next steps!

Trpta108
06-03-2012, 04:42 PM
I don't do summative assessments unless the child is leaving to move on to a new setting. I do one then so that the new setting can use it as the child's "starting points".

So glad to hear I am not the only one. I just feel I am repeating myself doing them. Or maybe I am doing something wrong? How do you all do yours (those who do)?

rosebud
06-03-2012, 04:55 PM
I agree - I refuse to do anything which involves me repeating myself - its a waste of time. I will only do any paperwork which directly benefits the children. I do summative assessments when moving on to a new setting as this will help provide them with a smooth transition (hopefully). I set them out according to the 6 areas of learning and just summarise what they can already do and what their next steps should be. I do it this way as usually they are moving on a group setting where the focus is more orientated towards areas of learning so it is user friendly for them. I also include a short paragraph describing the child, for example if they are shy or what they like doing.

Trpta108
06-03-2012, 05:03 PM
I agree - I refuse to do anything which involves me repeating myself - its a waste of time. I will only do any paperwork which directly benefits the children. I do summative assessments when moving on to a new setting as this will help provide them with a smooth transition (hopefully). I set them out according to the 6 areas of learning and just summarise what they can already do and what their next steps should be. I do it this way as usually they are moving on a group setting where the focus is more orientated towards areas of learning so it is user friendly for them. I also include a short paragraph describing the child, for example if they are shy or what they like doing.

That makes sense. Thank you.

linda2girls
06-03-2012, 05:15 PM
I have to do them every term for the little boy who is funded. It seems a requirement of Cambs County Council.

Linda.

Trpta108
06-03-2012, 05:24 PM
I have to do them every term for the little boy who is funded. It seems a requirement of Cambs County Council.

Linda.

Do you know why you have to do them, and how do you do them?

sarah707
06-03-2012, 06:02 PM
it is really important to draw together what the child has learned over a period of time, reflect on it and then consider how you and the parents can take forward his learning.

Sometimes summary assessments are a better way of stepping back and seeing the overall picture of a child's learning.

Hth :D

Trpta108
07-03-2012, 04:36 PM
Thank you for your replies. I have just read through Sarah's e-book on summary assessments and it makes more sense now. I am just torn between doing everything to please Ofsted and not working myself too hard. I am trying to find a middle way. At the end of the day, I have my own children as well, who need my time as well. I wish the days were longer:(.

sarah707
07-03-2012, 06:20 PM
I am so pleased you found it useful! :clapping: