PDA

View Full Version : Rehoming my dogs :(

NicoleW
06-03-2012, 01:02 PM
Just got back from tthe DR's they wanted my daughter to have a RAST done. Turns out she is allergic to dogs after having a breakout of hives and a runny nose/red eyes.

My partner has one dog, a boxer and I have one dog a GSD. I've contacted a GSD rescue to take Duke but my partner wants to keep his dog as he is convinced that it's a one time reaction and it won't happen again, I on the other hand don't want to take the risk to my daughters health :(

V. sad day today I love my dog so much :(

Pipsqueak
06-03-2012, 01:03 PM
can you not explore options such as taking anti-histamines etc?
can you not speak to the vet to see if there is something you can spray on the dog to reduce the irritation to humans

very sad for you

mama2three
06-03-2012, 01:04 PM
My first reaction is it would be your partner I would want to rehome!

Gracie's mamma
06-03-2012, 01:06 PM
Poor dogs :(
But i feel sorry for your daughter

NicoleW
06-03-2012, 01:08 PM
If we were to keep the dogs, Hannah would have to be on anti-histamines twice a day and cream as well for her rashes she's coming up in

All the vet has said is to brush daily and make sure he has plenty of water and good food to lessen the dead skin coming off.

He is brushed for an hour eveyerday, has one of the best foods money can buy, flea'd and wormed every single month and has plenty of exercise. I hoover three times daily, wash his bedding daily at 90degrees, bleach his crate twice daily, disinfect the floors twice daily :( Not much else I can do

catminder
06-03-2012, 01:09 PM
You must be heartbroken but at the same time you have to do the right thing for your daughter's health. Hope you can resolve the matter with your partner's dog.

sarahjane
06-03-2012, 01:12 PM
What a horrible situation you find yourself in, I would be heartbroken if I had to rehome my girls. At least you are going a sensible route and contacting a rescue organisation instead of going the free ad route. Please don't go this way as you will have no idea where your dog could end up, at least rescue will homecheck and match a home to a dog.

Hugs to youxx

QualityCare
06-03-2012, 01:42 PM
I feel for you, have you been able to establish if it just one of the dogs she is allergic to or both/all dogs, my friend had 4 cats all different some long hair some short hair and l was allergic to just one of hers exactly the same symptoms. I have also had cats but wasn't allergic to them, now have a dog.

mummyof3
06-03-2012, 01:46 PM
If you have to rehome please do not advertise them free to good home because of people using them as fighting dogs. I have a boxer as well I'd be heartbroken :( There are lots of good boxer rescue sites on facebook that could help you rehome him/her.

Hope everything works out for the best it must be a horrible position to be in so sending you hugs x

NicoleW
06-03-2012, 01:53 PM
I feel for you, have you been able to establish if it just one of the dogs she is allergic to or both/all dogs, my friend had 4 cats all different some long hair some short hair and l was allergic to just one of hers exactly the same symptoms. I have also had cats but wasn't allergic to them, now have a dog.

Apparently it's the skin and the saliva they are allergic to, not the hair, so doesn't matter if they are long haired of short haired the doctor said :(

And no I'd never rehome on the interwebs, he's going through a breed specific rescue because they can find a better home than I could

WibbleWobble
06-03-2012, 02:48 PM
i am allergic to my two elderly cats.

its not their fault i developed allergies to all animals....and like nicolaw says its not fur its their skin and saliva which causes the reaction.

i have been told i am getting an epi pen soon....but after 16 years i cant get rid of old flower and petal, i will keep on with the daily antihistamines. But i must admit i may think differently if this was my child with the allergy.

its a terrible time for you all

mandy xxxxxxx

wendywu
06-03-2012, 04:39 PM
These tests are not 100% accurate.

After ending up in hospital due to a reaction to nuts he had one.

Some of the the things they told him he was allergic to he is fine with. For example coconut. So i would double check somehow before you get rid of the animals.

Also he used to be allergic to our cats but he has desentized over the years.

Demonjill
06-03-2012, 04:58 PM
I would also double check/get a second opinion:thumbsup:

I know over the years my doc has been wrong on many things and twice ive had other peoples test results back :rolleyes: too so although I wouldnt want to put my child in danger ive yet to come across a severe enough pet allergy case (and seen many with cats and horses over the years) where the person is in actual danger.

What if you got rid of them then all was ok and it wasnt the dogs? Or she grew out of it.

Sorry but i would need more info.

Also id be inclined to tell your OH that both dogs go - its hardly fair you being heartbroken about your dog if he gets to keep his :(

good luck with whatever you decide :thumbsup:

toddlers896
06-03-2012, 07:37 PM
thats sad. I would never be able to giive up my dog, he is my baby. I hope it all works out ok for you x

Trouble
07-03-2012, 08:10 AM
boxers have very flat fur not shedding apart from twice a year i have a boxer and his fur is fine, we have a puppy who is very furry and she makes me itchy

your other dog is different why dont you try getting rid of one first and see i would go for the GSD one

big hugs xxx

wendywu
07-03-2012, 08:16 AM
[Q
UOTE=wendywu;1066236]These tests are not 100% accurate.

After ending up in hospital due to a reaction to nuts he had one.

Some of the the things they told him he was allergic to he is fine with. For example coconut. So i would double check somehow before you get rid of the animals.

Also he used to be allergic to our cats but he has desentized over the years.

[/QUOTE]

This was DH i was talking about :laughing:

But i would not get rid of the dogs until you are 100% certain and your daughter can always grow out of it. :)

NicoleW
07-03-2012, 10:28 AM
We are still kind of weighing up the options at the moment, seeing how bad her reactions get etc. Just a bit confused is all :(

She's on meds at the moment but her eyes are still puffy and red, her nose is constantly running and we've not managed to shift the hives yet :panic: