PDA

View Full Version : Minding a homeschooled child

mindingmummy08
06-03-2012, 11:48 AM
I am just wondering where I stand with this one.

I'm registered for 6 under 8s so he would fit in my numbers, he is 7. He is being pulled out of school as they are not supporting his special educational needs and infact labelling him "naughty" etc, he's going through the process of an autism diagnosis.

His mom wants to home school but she also works two days a week so would need me to care for him on those days. He is not a problem when I care for him he is only a problem in a classroom when they try to get him to do work as he can't understand what they want him to do and therefore gets frustrated.

He is familiar with my own children and my mindee.

I would be looking to support his mom in homeschooling by working on his language, literacy and numeracy aswel as obviously joining in all the other things we do such as outings and sensory play which is really good for him he loves the outdoors and anything that gets his senses going.

Does the above sound ok? Are there any special requirements or is it the same as caring for him around school anyway so long as I support mom with learning.

catminder
06-03-2012, 12:04 PM
I don't know if there are any special requirements for you other than working in partnership with mum. I think the parents will have to show education people that they are providing him with an education.
It sounds great and I would go for it :)

greenfields
06-03-2012, 12:08 PM
I think the parents will have to show education people that they are providing him with an education.

Spot on. The child's parents will need to provide the evidence that the child is being educated, not you.

PixiePetal
06-03-2012, 12:21 PM
sounds a perfect solution :thumbsup:

mindingmummy08
06-03-2012, 12:37 PM
Thank you thats great just told his mom and she is thrilled! He is so unhappy it makes me cry he will be very excited to hear he can come to me. :)

Lilylulu
06-03-2012, 10:40 PM
Good Luck, well done to his mum for making the move, I have homeschooled both my daughters at different ages for health reasons. Also fitted it in with childminding, part of the reason I changed my career to childminding to fit in. Its very easy to home tutor this age, it's really just the same as with the little ones - making lists, counting, sharing out, weighing, baking, etc, everyday learning - home ed does not have to be formal or always written to count as learning. I found it best to follow my youngest daughters interests as she was quite difficult to engage at first. Her work ethic definately improved within a few weeks and she is now much better at independent study rather than being spoonfed the lessons at school. My eldest daughter has been home ed for the last year (currently year 11) and is just attending school to sit the exams. On target for A's and A*s :)

onceinabluemoon
07-03-2012, 09:16 AM
Well done for supporting this parent. I have home schooled my two lads for the past 7 years and they are fab people and very clever.

One thing I would say is check with ofsted about his place in your numbers as somebody on her posted that a home schooled child counts in your under fives even though he was over 5. I have no idea if this was real or just hearsay but it may be worth you checking it out. If they say he counts as an under five I would question whether that's discrimination as the child's education is a personal choice just as religion is one and there is nothing in law to say that 'full time' is between 9 and 3 for a home schooled child...

chez
07-03-2012, 09:40 AM
When we have our own children we do not want them to start "school" until they are 7/8 years old and therefore our plan is to continue to childmind (both me and my partner) and send our child to a childminder from a youngish age where they will continue to attend til school homeschooling for the years they will miss at school.

This isnt health related but because we don't beleive in formal education in a school enviorment until they are older.

mindingmummy08
07-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Thank you for the advice.

I will check with ofsted about the numbers as I actually don't have space for an under 5.

Twinklestars
07-03-2012, 06:28 PM
I have a child who is between schools and I checked with ofsted as I had heard the same but they said as he's 7 he's just a 5-8 not early years, you could get a different answer though.

Maza
07-03-2012, 10:36 PM
I totally support home schooling but just make sure that the mum is realistic in her expectations of you in terms of educating him. You will still have your little ones around you which can be very demanding and their needs must be met (obviously you know this, you just need to make sure the mum is clear about this).