PDA

View Full Version : Questions to ask parents?

lozb81
06-03-2012, 09:12 AM
I have just completed my registration and started advertising but when a parent phones to ask about spaces etc, what questions do you ask them apart from the hours and days they require and age of child? Just wondering what everyone else asks when the parents first phone?

~Chelle~
06-03-2012, 11:25 AM
Usually I ask the same in a first telephone conversation. Hours and days required, what area they live in, if the child is of school/nursery age, ask what school/nursery they attend and what sessions. Also ask them what their child's name is, so that it makes it more personal.

Make sure you take their name and phone number too, as some people make appointments and don't show up :rolleyes:

Good luck with it all.

rickysmiths
06-03-2012, 11:41 AM
I ask for the childs name and date of birth so I know exactly how old the child is! Parents I have found can be notoriously vague and as you fill vacancies it can be crucial you know exactly.

Are there any sibblings

Their address and land line phone number as well as mobile. I deliver a leaflet about me to them before they visit.

An idea of where they work so it gives me an idea of any travel times they may have.

Days and hours required

when they want to start

Date and time of visit to meet me

I have actually printed this on a sheet which also has some other bits on and I keep them in a file. This way I actually have a record of inquiries going back years and it is surprising how some come back and I have been able to contact someone if something falls through.

So I also have :

Second Visit date to sign contracts

Settling times and days

Prices quoted (so I don't forget if there are special requirements!)
Any special needs/Allergies/Medication
Any special dietary requirements

I then have a check list which I tick off as I am talking to the parents at the first meeting covering the things I must tell them:

Show around setting inside and out
Ofsted Reg/First Aid/All Crb
My normal daily routine incl sleeping arrangements
The food I provide
EYFS and Learning Journals
References if they want them

What the parent has to/or wants to supply like baby milk, changes of clothes, suitable coats hats boots etc for the weather, nappies.

It may seem a lot and basic but it is so easy to get distracted and I have found this so useful. It does all fit on one side of A4, honest!

lozb81
06-03-2012, 08:50 PM
Thanks for the advice!! That is a huge help :)