PDA

View Full Version : flea bites

nipper
05-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Ok read this and I challenge you not to be itching by the end of it. One of my mindees (10 months) has turned up with flea bites (from the family cat, theirs not mine...we have a dog and he is regularly de-flead).
She has had these marks near her neck and just under the neckiline of her baby grow for a couple of weeks now and we have ruled out chicken pox and impetigo...that is until mum says to me, oh the cat has got fleas...are you itching yet?

Question is, could she have transferred them into my home and should I be de-flea-ing my carpets and rugs? Also do I need to notify the other families?

tess1981
05-03-2012, 11:30 AM
I itched at the title :laughing:
not sure if fleas would be transferred from the child to your house.. i would assume not try a google search soory cant help

Helen79
05-03-2012, 12:33 PM
They can be carried on clothing, mainly on things like woolley cardigans and blankets. If she brings a pushchair then I'd leave it outside.
We had a flea infestation a few years ago and I was the only one being bitten. We tried everything to get rid of them and it took months, the only thing that worked was stronghold from the vet.

tess1981
05-03-2012, 12:37 PM
They can be carried on clothing, mainly on things like woolley cardigans and blankets. If she brings a pushchair then I'd leave it outside.
We had a flea infestation a few years ago and I was the only one being bitten. We tried everything to get rid of them and it took months, the only thing that worked was stronghold from the vet.

in that case I would start the defleaing process just in case. :(
don't want to read this post again, i am :censored: itching all over now :laughing:
good luck

JCrakers
05-03-2012, 12:50 PM
Fleas are a pain :angry: I regularly treat my two cats and would be cross if anyone bought them in.

The fleas can live for months without feeding and can feed on any warm blooded animal or human. It sounds like you will have to clean really well,Hoover,etc and maybe have a look if there is any cleaner specifically for fleas.
But if they are not going to treat their animal,then the child will keep bringing them in

nipper
05-03-2012, 12:59 PM
Oh no:panic::angry::censored:

Rachael's stars
05-03-2012, 01:32 PM
poor child, i struggle to understand that as a parent the mother wouldnt be on a mission to make sure the cat and house are de-fleaed and that she wasnt getting some sort of ich relief cream for the little one

yes they can be brought in on the child or changing bags, clothes, pushchairs ect give everything a good brush of outside and look into some defleaing sprays you can get for your home that are safe for children,

about the other parents id just say someone in the setting has come into contact with flees and that they may have bought a few into your home so to look out for bites on there little ones but also make sure that they understand its not an issue with ur pets as they are kept up to date with there treatment, i no its prob the last thing you want is another risk assesment but maybe you could keep a risk assesment about fleas and parasites and keep a log of dates and flea treatment given to your pets, just to cover yourself if any parent was to blame you for there child getting bitten you would have the proof that its not the case,

good luck i hope they havnt bought them in hth

Mouse
05-03-2012, 01:35 PM
I would find out first if they are actually flea bites. I'd have thought a pharmasist or the nurse at the GP surgery would have a quick look and tell you/mum what they think.

If they are from fleas the mindee has got at home, they could have been brought into your house on clothing, changing bag, pushchair etc. If no one else has been bitten at your house though, there's a good chance they haven't been brought in.

I'd be extra villigant and if you do spot any of the little blighters, get pest control in straight away. From my experience, that's the quickest way of getting rid of them :thumbsup:

CH1957
05-03-2012, 01:43 PM
Ok read this and I challenge you not to be itching by the end of it. One of my mindees (10 months) has turned up with flea bites (from the family cat, theirs not mine...we have a dog and he is regularly de-flead).
She has had these marks near her neck and just under the neckiline of her baby grow for a couple of weeks now and we have ruled out chicken pox and impetigo...that is until mum says to me, oh the cat has got fleas...are you itching yet?

Question is, could she have transferred them into my home and should I be de-flea-ing my carpets and rugs? Also do I need to notify the other families?

I was told by my vet that the stuff used to treat my dogs for fleas actually prevents them being transferred to carpets, sofa etc. So presumably if you are treating your dog the house should be ok.

Two Princesses
05-03-2012, 02:30 PM
I was told by my vet that the stuff used to treat my dogs for fleas actually prevents them being transferred to carpets, sofa etc. So presumably if you are treating your dog the house should be ok.
Today 01:35 PM

"Frontline Combo may be used as the only product for flea control as it breaks the life cycle on the animal and in its surroundings by killing all stages of fleas. " You do have to use it regularly though.

Fleas are just horrible :-( Does the mother know they are flea bites? As a parent, CM and a cat owner I find it very hard to believe that she would not do something if she knew her DD had flea bites..... :ohdear:
I'd treat your home just in case :thumbsup:

Katiekoo
05-03-2012, 02:53 PM
"Frontline Combo may be used as the only product for flea control as it breaks the life cycle on the animal and in its surroundings by killing all stages of fleas. " You do have to use it regularly though.

Fleas are just horrible :-( Does the mother know they are flea bites? As a parent, CM and a cat owner I find it very hard to believe that she would not do something if she knew her DD had flea bites..... :ohdear:
I'd treat your home just in case :thumbsup:

I can heartily recommend that product it is the only thing that will prevent and kill them.
I would flea bomb your house in case! We had fleas once and my poor dd had to go to cm with bites, I was so upset, it was dreadful. They take ages to fade too :(

nipper
05-03-2012, 05:30 PM
also make sure that they understand its not an issue with ur pets as they are kept up to date with there treatment, i no its prob the last thing you want is another risk assesment but maybe you could keep a risk assesment about fleas and parasites and keep a log of dates and flea treatment given to your pets, just to cover yourself if any parent was to blame you for there child getting bitten you would have the proof that its not the case,

Already done before this happened

faerielies
07-03-2012, 03:29 PM
i have 3 cats and the flea on my cats love frontline! they eat it up and don't die. So my vet has told me to buy advantage and i have been flea free for 3 months. i use acclaim spray for my house which works wonders too. I use this website to buy my medication for anilmals on at a third of the price from vets/ pets at home.

http://www.animeddirect.co.uk/

Hope this helps you as much as it has helped me.
i've made a complaint to Frontyline who adamently said that i was not applying it properly not that their product wouldn't work.

If a family has pets i'd pass this info on to them. i can't afford the prices in the shops at the moment (not childminding yet) and it could be the same for them