PDA

View Full Version : charging for holidays?

samkeddy
05-03-2012, 10:14 AM
I currently charge nothing for my holidays and half for childrens.

I decided a little while ago that i want to start charging parents for the childrens holidays, i take 3 weeks a year where most parents get about 6!
With 5 families all taking an extra 3 weeks a year each and paying only half fees im losing alot of money when im still available for work.

So ive wrote the letter, its worded very nice, it explains im not incresing fees this year (went up by 15p per hour last year) but that holidays will be charged at full rate as the place is still available.

But just wanted to share how terribly nervous i am about giving the letter out!!!!!!!!!:panic::panic:

Changing the way i do things after 2years might be asking for trouble??

EmmaReed84
05-03-2012, 10:24 AM
If you feel it is too much too soon then perhap limit the amount of holidays at half pay, and if they want to take more then it is full pay. Perhaps 4 weeks holiday at half, more at full.

I charge my parents full fee, however if I charged half I would definately be limiting the amount of weeks were at this rate.

Perhaps also discuss verabally with the parents first, explain it the way you want to (sometimes the written word can be taken out of context) then hand the letter stating it is merely a formality x

NI MINDER
05-03-2012, 12:47 PM
Hi - I am a bit like you - time of year to rewrite contracts and was thinking of charging retainer rate for bank hols and my own hols - this adds up to 24 days in total.

I have no limit on the amount of holidays parents take at retainer rate and one particular parent has at least one retainer day per week which brings my income down significantly - and that is a whole other thread at the moment :(

Feeling really nervous too though about asking for holiday pay when i am not available to work. Still havent convinced myself to press print on contracts yet. -

Chatterbox Childcare
05-03-2012, 01:15 PM
You could put a limit of holidays at half pay at 3 weeks and the rest at full pay. You could also do half and half for yours and theirs

Personally I like sitting down and explaining why things are happening as letters, texts and emails can be misunderstood

samkeddy
05-03-2012, 02:01 PM
im going to explain what the letter is and why when i give it to them i wouldnt like them to just read it i have good relationships with them all, 1 parent offers to pay me full for her hols anyway. (i know it shouldnt matter but their all getting tax credits which dont decrease when they have a weeks holiday) so i feel its fair just dont like saying it!!

appleblossom
05-03-2012, 02:07 PM
I have four weeks holiday per year without charging. I don't work Bank hols and don't charge.

I allow four weeks at half fee holidays for the families I mind for. I have one parent who has used her half pay allowance already (The holiday year runs from 1st September to 31st August), so all her holidays to 31st August 2012 will now be at full fees. Ironically she has booked the week after Easter off which would have been full fees; but I found out today I will be starting 3 weeks radiotherapy that week so she won't be paying at all.

samkeddy
05-03-2012, 02:33 PM
could you not tell her that and charge her anyway :rolleyes: probably not but its a shame!!

i understand the allowing so many weeks at half rate then incresing to full rate when theyve used their entitlement but i wouldnt like to keep having the same conversations with different families, advising "theyve used their holidays for that year it will now be full rate" Im too soft and afraid of confrontation id end up just charging half all the time same as now!!

Plus i like the idea of knowing what im earning each week, cos i have 2 dds under 5 im not earning a fortune and with holidays here there and everywhere i never know what im earinig from week to week, this will mean my income is the same unless im on hol.

EmmaReed84
05-03-2012, 02:44 PM
im going to explain what the letter is and why when i give it to them i wouldnt like them to just read it i have good relationships with them all, 1 parent offers to pay me full for her hols anyway. (i know it shouldnt matter but their all getting tax credits which dont decrease when they have a weeks holiday) so i feel its fair just dont like saying it!!

Actually they do. When I used a CM and claimed tax credits I was charged £130 a week. However they asked about holiday payments I explained that I pay 1/2 for either her, or my holiday. It was calculated that 4 weeks of the year would not be paid for, this was divided 52 and came to £10 so it was stated that I actually paid £120 a week instead of £130.

samkeddy
05-03-2012, 04:02 PM
ah ok sorry, but in that case i think my parents may not be as honest as you as at least 2 of them have mentioned that they still recieve their tax credits, 1 offered to pay full as still getting it and the other has mentioned how she doesnt mind paying me half as still receiving it. And they get it on the weeks im not working as they both give it to family members to care for the children for the week!!

catminder
05-03-2012, 06:53 PM
At the moment I don't charge for my holidays or mindees. Definately will charge for their holidays when I get any new starters.

karensmart4
05-03-2012, 07:06 PM
I've been thinking along the same lines as you.

I have just written my spring newsletter and have said that after very careful consideration I am going to alter the way I charge for sickness and holiday. It is changing from 50% to 100% still no charge for Bank Holiday's unless I am asked to work and then we can come to a mutual agreement regarding fees.

The changes will be written into the contract reviews in August.

I think my parents will be ok with the change (except one :panic: )

appleblossom
05-03-2012, 10:02 PM
could you not tell her that and charge her anyway :rolleyes: probably not but its a shame!!

Were you replying to my post about the parent taking her week's holiday on the first week of my radiotherapy Sam? Wasn't sure whose post you were replying to. If it was my post you were responding to I have to say I could not charge her for it. She's the nicest parent I mind for and I have been keeping all parents informed about my treatment and they know I'm going to need time off. We had already considered that it would be good if one of my treatment weeks was her week off as it was one less week for her to find cover for. I hadn't got around to telling her it would be full fees for that week's holiday before I found out my dates today. Now I won't have to tell her that. I'll just mark it as no fee due on the April invoice.

samkeddy
06-03-2012, 07:54 AM
Were you replying to my post about the parent taking her week's holiday on the first week of my radiotherapy Sam? Wasn't sure whose post you were replying to. If it was my post you were responding to I have to say I could not charge her for it. She's the nicest parent I mind for and I have been keeping all parents informed about my treatment and they know I'm going to need time off. We had already considered that it would be good if one of my treatment weeks was her week off as it was one less week for her to find cover for. I hadn't got around to telling her it would be full fees for that week's holiday before I found out my dates today. Now I won't have to tell her that. I'll just mark it as no fee due on the April invoice.

yes i was replying to you apple, but was only joking i couldnt fib and charge!! it sounds like its worked out the best way though, hope your treatment is ok x