PDA

View Full Version : Depression

handeme
05-03-2012, 06:34 AM
Would being diagnosed with depression cause a problem with your registration? I know you have to disclose any medication that you are on and I wondered if you are on a low dose of medication to control your depression it would effect your registration?

C x

sarah707
05-03-2012, 07:53 AM
Ofsted will most probably want to do more medical checks - first with the GP who diagnosed the medication.

Then they will probably ask the childminder to attend one of their medical centres to chat with their doctors who will do a RA to make sure the childminder is still safe to be caring for children.

It is standard practice.

The childminder should give them a ring as soon as possible and get the ball rolling.

Hope this helps! xx

handeme
05-03-2012, 07:58 AM
Fab, thank you.

I think she has been putting off going to the doctors for the fear of being told it is depression, she is fine daily and it doesn't effect her working in any way.

Would she have to stop minding until all the checks have taken place?

C x

Beetlejuice
05-03-2012, 09:02 AM
I've had depression on and off for 11 years now and it didn't affect my registration at all. My inspector who did my pre-reg visit said she appreciated my honesty by disclosing it at our first meeting. It was obviously disclosed on my health form by my GP too but nobody seemed concerned as I disclosed it and I am more than stable on the medication so I'm fine.

guest3
05-03-2012, 09:53 AM
I too have had mild depression since having my own family but it is controlled with a mild dose of antidepressants. I declared it when registering and it was checked by Ofsted but I was still registered.

catminder
05-03-2012, 10:00 AM
Not sure if it's quite the same thing but I got post natal depression after DD #2 was born. Took prozac for a while. Didn't have any problems with registering as a childminder although it must of been on my medical records and I remember mentioning it at the time.

handeme
05-03-2012, 10:33 AM
Thanks ladies. C x.

nipper
05-03-2012, 10:40 AM
Hi, absolutely not...the happy pills just help keep you on an 'even keel' sometimes...:clapping:

handeme
05-03-2012, 10:54 AM
:laughing:
Hi, absolutely not...the happy pills just help keep you on an 'even keel' sometimes...:clapping: