PDA

View Full Version : double buggy-new or 2nd hand?

beckyteddy
04-03-2012, 10:23 AM
I've decided that I need a new double buggy, my quandry is do I buy new or second hand?

I'm going to get a Maclaren Techno Twin (fits through my door & can take a buggy board) and I've found a new but unboxed one on e-bay for £185. The same buggy on all the 2nd hand listings seems to be offered at between £70 and £120 for ones in good condition.

So.....do I spend, spend, spend on a new one that will last for 5+ years if I'm lucky (or I could sell on at some point) or go for a cheaper 2nd hand one that's already had 2ish years of wear and tear?

My husband is being absolutely no help with this decision so I wonder if any of you lovely people would offer an opinion?:huh:

jumping j
04-03-2012, 11:27 AM
I got a second hand double off ebay, it's in mint condition, got no problems buying second hand as long as it's in good condition and no one knows any different anyway!!!:laughing:

onceinabluemoon
04-03-2012, 11:30 AM
Have you actually pushed a new twin techno loaded up with children?

There's a reason why there are so many 2nd hand ones in perfect condition on ebay... (the older versions were ugh easier to push, the new ones are not so easy to tip back up curbs and when you walk you kick the middle wheels unless you have a very short stride.

beckyteddy
04-03-2012, 11:54 AM
Oh no!!

I'm really limited in my choices....it has to fit through a 80cm garden gate and I need to get a buggy board on the back of it.

I have a Jane PowerTwin at the moment and it's a dream to push loaded with kids, school bags etc but there is no headroom for a child on a buggy board.

Have you any other suggestions?

How old are the 'old' Techno Twins that are easier to push?

onceinabluemoon
04-03-2012, 12:27 PM
Probably too old to be ay good now...

The twin triumph is easier to push as it has a different centre of balance and a different frame, its a bit more basic though. Its also a cm or two narrower than the techno (but doesn't have the pull out calf rests that the techno has), compare the two on the maclaren site. Beware of weak 'elbows' if buying second hand, some people stick them on ebay as immaculate but the elbows have 'give' and once that happens the buggy is basically knsckered.

Most buggies will go through an 80cm gate, did you specifically want side by side, what is your budget?

beckyteddy
04-03-2012, 01:14 PM
Doesn't have to be side-by-side, just needs to take a buggy board on the back of it. Plenty of space underneath would be a bonus.

Budget is £200 absolute max...ideally around £100.

Thanks for chatting, really helps to have someone who is interested enough to make suggestions.....unlike a very unhelpfull husband I could happen to mention!

onceinabluemoon
04-03-2012, 03:34 PM
If storage isn't an issue I would go for a second hand mountain buggy double urban (swivel wheels, lays back flat, good from birth to age 5, easy to attach a buggy board to without affecting steering or brakes, plenty of headroom for toddler on the buggy board [their head fits well between the buggy frame and the handle]. Can be pushed one handed, goes through normal doorways -think width is 74cms but can't swear to that). Massive storage basket if included in sale. But they are heavy to lift so not the best if you're going to be lifting it into cars, they do fit on our buses though. They can go from 150 to 250 on ebay but are really good workhorses.

beckyteddy
04-03-2012, 05:02 PM
I've always wanted one of those but I assumed the buggy board wouldn't suit due to head-space issues....have you got one of these yourself?

I've just found one going for £230 on 'pre-loved' and it's just down the road from me....very tempting!

I can't stand using equipment that is a awkward or difficult, I think one of these would be a real treat!

Hmmmm...just got to persuade DH now!

Thanks again for the advice x

miffy
04-03-2012, 06:04 PM
Whatever you go for take it for a test run with children before you buy, that's the only way to know for sure whether it's suitable for what you want.

Miffy xx

ziggy
05-03-2012, 08:40 AM
I bought a 2nd hand techno twin from a friend who had only used it for her grandchildren. I love it BUT i have found the seats just arent big enough. I have a very petite 18month old and she is only child that i can comfortably fit in it. During winter months with big coats on it was a daily battle to strap children in to buggy.

Has any one else had same problem?

JCrakers
05-03-2012, 12:12 PM
I got my nipper off eBay. It's in mint condition with shopping basket and rain cover.£150 and pick up was free.

The cheapest one new I could find at the time was £279 but that was without the rain over.
Definitely some good bargains on eBay :D

beckyteddy
06-03-2012, 02:06 PM
I've just picked up my new (to me!) Double Mountain Buggy...whoop-whoop!

I found it on the "pre-loved" web-site for £80!! No cosy-toes or rain cover but I've found some from my existing stock pile (ehem!) that fit just fine.

Buggy board is on and seems to be working fine....thank goodness I'm sorted....it was begining to stress me out trying to work out how I was going to manage the school run!

Thanks for all your comments x