PDA

View Full Version : Help please...rising 5's!!!

hbomb1
28-05-2008, 06:39 AM
I had an enquiry yesterday from a parent wanting care for her lo from September. It is for all day Monday, all day tuesday and Wednesday morning. LO will be 1 in October.

I currently care for a LO who is 21 months, Monday to Thursday 1 till 3.30. I also have my own children who are 5, 4 and 21 months.

From September, my 4-year old son starts school so he will be classed as a rising 5. So it was my understanding that I would be able to take this new enquiry on so I telephoned Ofsted and was advised that my son would be classed as a rising 5 but only during term time. I asked the lady then how I could care for this new child who will be one in October, and she advised me to write to the Inspectorate. She said discussions were ongoing regarding the EYFS and rising 5's.

I telephoned the prospective parent back and explained that I MAY have a place from September but that I would need to contact Ofsted first. However, I have invited her to visit my setting and if she likes what she sees and wants to go with me, then I would contact Ofsted. Think she understood! I am the only CM in our village with places at the moment.

Assuming my son is only classed as a rising 5 during term time, and as the LO I currently care for is afternoons only, do you think I could get around this problem by requesting a variation for 2½ hours on Monday and Tuesday?

I have a double buggy so new baby and other mindee could go in that for school run and my daughter (who will be 2 come September) could walk. I hand over mindee to grandad at school so my daughter would get a ride back home.

Sorry for long post, but I really want to take on this new mindee as it is more hours than my current afternooner.

:(

crazybones
28-05-2008, 06:43 AM
I think there are a lot of people going to be in your position come September (me included - hopefully if the 2 coming to visit me next week sign up). I think its all up in the air at the moment but I would say you could try for a variation but hopefully by then they may have seen sense and reverted it back to the current rules.

hbomb1
28-05-2008, 06:51 AM
Thanks Anna.

I really hope that Ofsted see sense, and quickly!

Good luck with your 2 potential mindees next week :D

miffy
28-05-2008, 07:05 AM
I would go ahead with the new mindee and then see what the ruling is come September - then apply for a variation if necessary.

Things are changing all the time atm and I'm sure this situation with rising 5's will be sorted by then - otherwise Ofsted are going to be inundated with requests for variations!

Good luck

miffy xx

cherry
28-05-2008, 07:09 AM
Hi Helen

If you go to the EYFS section and look under the heading BIG PROBLEM that might answer your question.

Also if you have received your Who Minds magazine look at page 5 that might help as well :)

manjay
28-05-2008, 07:14 AM
Was just going to say I have been reading about it in Who Minds. Doesn't affect me but it does clearly state that OFSTED confirm that the ratios are based on normal school term, and during holidays, children who would otherwise be at school would continue to be classed as over 5

Good luck and for once I am pleased I live in Wales:D

hbomb1
28-05-2008, 08:50 AM
Just read page 5 of Who Minds? and feel much better now. :phew:

Thank you all for your replies. :D

SimplyLucy
28-05-2008, 09:02 AM
I have my son and a mindee both due to start school in September, I'll be going by the article in Who Minds.

Don't forget you will still need to send a letter to OFSTED asking them to change your certificate as it's your own son that is starting school. OFSTED will ammend your certificate to take this into account.

In our area the new school starters only go half days for the first 3 weeks, during this time they are still a 4 year old. They have to be in FULL TIME school (mornings and afternoons 5 days a week) to be classed as a 5 year old.

Good luck and I hope you get the new one.:)

hbomb1
28-05-2008, 09:10 AM
Thanks Lucy. I am going to work on the basis of the article in Who Minds? too.

when do we have to write to Ofsted advising them of DS starting school? Could I do it say end of July and would they issue a pre dated certificate, or do we have to wait until they have actually started school.

The children are the same here whereby they attend two afternoon sessions and then two morning sessions before going full time. The potential mindee would start with me on 8th September, so hopefully won'y need the variation as the children start back at school on 2nd September.

:thumbsup: