PDA

View Full Version : 'Brainy baby' DVD

jadavi
03-03-2012, 03:57 PM
Just been given a sunday times dvd from a mum caled Brainy baby and is mainly classical music and clips of creative artistic and logic stimuli - really lovely and therapeutic ( even for me !) and gently educational - two programmes on it - left brain and right brain.
Think i will look for the DVDs

Intend to play it to the children when Ofsted come next week
haha

sarah707
03-03-2012, 10:22 PM
Sounds lovely! Let us know if the children respond to it :D

jadavi
03-03-2012, 10:30 PM
The mum says the children adore it :)

miffy
03-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Sounds great! I'm sure Ofsted will be impressed! :thumbsup:

Miffy xx

gigglinggoblin
03-03-2012, 11:48 PM
I dont want to rain on the parade but this type of dvd were actually shown to delay development. I am not against kids watching tv now and then but these really arent what they claim to be. Apparently the company who did the study had major trouble securing funding and then had loads of problems from the people who produce the dvds so it hasnt exactly been widely publicised (thats what happens when you try to stop a huge corporation making money). We went to an ECAT conference and the keynote speaker talked about them. She has written quite a few books which are really interesting, she claims any tv before the age of 2 is not a good thing but she is quite reasonable, not complete ott.

Sue Palmer (http://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/0752880918/ref=as_li_ss_tl?ie=UTF8&tag=childminding-21&linkCode=as2&camp=1634&creative=19450&creativeASIN=0752880918)

Sorry to be a misery!

ETA - It was not this specific brand she mentioned but a similar concept

jadavi
04-03-2012, 08:47 AM
Thanks gg
Yes this sounds like the ' tv is bad ' for children debate.
I do have a lot of sympathy with this and have studied the Steiner approach which believes that any technology is harmful before a certain age etc.

I can only go on results. The mum who gave me this says her 2y o learned her letters and numbers thru this and it has a calming effect. My own kids learned their numbers and letters from Sesame St and Playbox 20 years ago and loved it.

I'm a great believer in moderation and in my experience- if a mental break is needed , a short spell of the right tv or computer prog can be beneficial and definitely educational . I certainly agree indiscriminate computer or tv can be harmful for any age.

My feeling is - given the diet of children's tv on offer at say early afternoon ( which is certainly not all bad) this one was more peaceful and gentle. The classical music alone gave us all a great therapeutic boost and the images were so attractive and appealing I can't see it being damaging.
Tv being bad for children is in my opinion a whole different argument but I certainly take your point .

gigglinggoblin
04-03-2012, 11:16 AM
My son learned a lot through a bbc letter program too, I do think it can have its place but like yours he was over 2. When you said brainy baby I assumed this was for babies which is what the study was done on.

fluff1975
04-03-2012, 01:40 PM
I have no issue with these at all, and sometimes stick a Baby Einstein on when we're struggling for a bit of down time!

Equally effective though is a Classic FM Music for Babies cd I bought for my daughter years ago. I actually had it on quietly when having my registration inspection as I was so wound up! The inspector said she felt calmed too!