PDA

View Full Version : What's the usual procedure when a parent has another baby?

Cazz
03-03-2012, 11:06 AM
I'm just after some information in case I need to know in the next few months!

I currently mind a 14 month old little boy three days a week and I also take his older brother to nursery on a Thursday morning and mind him as well in the school holidays. Mum has mentioned a few times recently that she hopes to have another baby in the not to distance future (and said that she would like me to childmind the baby :thumbsup:).

The thing I'm wondering is what is the usual procedure when a parent goes on maternity leave? Would they normally still send the existing mindee to you, if not what do you charge them? You can't keep a place open for months without any charges. She's not the sort of parent who "palms" her children off at the drop of a hat so I think she would be happy to have him at home as well, at least some of the time.

My holiday charges are half fees if 4 weeks or more notice is given, full fees if less than 4 weeks notice. Would I charge half fees for all the time he's not there?

Also, she would need to reserve a place for the baby as soon as possible to ensure that I have vacancies but how do you charge for holding a place for an unborn child?

EmmaReed84
03-03-2012, 11:18 AM
I have not been in this position and am new to minding myself but I would discuss with Mum what her plans are for maternity leave. Will she want to send the kids to you one day a week, not at all, or the same days? How long is she planning to take off?

It is really hard to say as there are so many variables. Once you have got some information you can work from there... Otherwise you will have to consider all scenarios. Which would drive me bonkers lol

FussyElmo
03-03-2012, 11:22 AM
You cant charge for an unborn baby you have to wait till they have been born.

Think its one that you need to sit down and discuss with the parents - some continue sending their children. Some hope you have spaces when they are ready. Some pay retainers some dont.

Tax credits will still pay whilst they are on maternity.

Some many variable its hard knowing which will suit you :thumbsup:

Bluebell
03-03-2012, 02:25 PM
I'd be tempted to ask her if she would like to continue sending her child - it will give continuity and stability for her child and hold the place open. She may be grateful of the time before and after her baby is born despite been on maternity leave. If it is a full time place maybe cut back to one or 2 days so the cost is not so great.
She will be in a better position to have a place for a sibling or if the other child then goes on to pre-school to swop the children or continuity of care for the older child to extend the hours.

This obviously depends on you and whether you can fill the space or would rather be paid a half rate retainer long term to keep a space open. I assume she will have at least 9 months paid maternity so that is a long time to be only paid a percentage of your normal charge.

Thats a really good point about tax credits too - if she claims for childcare costs it will be better for her to keep sending her child otherwise they will cut that bit but if she's getting the money anyway she might aswell still have the space.

sillysausage
03-03-2012, 02:59 PM
I ask the parents to continue sending their older child for at least one day per week in order to retain a place for the older child and (if one is required) to make it easier getting a variation to enable me to care for the new baby. I've done this for at least 5 years and it's worked out really well. With my most recent siblings the older one came for 2 days per week and then for the last 2 months of mum's maternity leave the oldest came one day per week and the youngest one day per week. That way it didn't cost the parent any extra, it didn't affect my numbers, the baby got to settle in and mum got to spend some one to one time with each child....win win win!

Cazz
03-03-2012, 03:27 PM
I ask the parents to continue sending their older child for at least one day per week in order to retain a place for the older child and (if one is required) to make it easier getting a variation to enable me to care for the new baby. I've done this for at least 5 years and it's worked out really well. With my most recent siblings the older one came for 2 days per week and then for the last 2 months of mum's maternity leave the oldest came one day per week and the youngest one day per week. That way it didn't cost the parent any extra, it didn't affect my numbers, the baby got to settle in and mum got to spend some one to one time with each child....win win win!

That sounds like a good way of doing it. I really hope she would still send the 14 month old because he's lovely and I'd really miss him! The family only live around the corner from me so I could always collect and drop off for her when she has the baby (not even pregnant yet as far as I know lol!). I already collect on a Thursday morning to take her older son to nursery. She can go back to work when the baby is only a couple of months old as well :laughing:

It's interesting to know they'll still get tax credits towards childcare when she's on maternity leave - that's what I was concerned about because I really don't think they could afford to send him to me otherwise.

The Juggler
03-03-2012, 03:30 PM
it will depend on parent circumstances hon. i had 2 parents leave me because they couldn't afford to keep sending mindee and one just now who has continued to send mindee 3 days instead of 4. I don't need to keep a space for the baby as I know that if mindee is still here I will get a variation for the sibling.:thumbsup:

Cazz
03-03-2012, 03:37 PM
it will depend on parent circumstances hon. i had 2 parents leave me because they couldn't afford to keep sending mindee and one just now who has continued to send mindee 3 days instead of 4. I don't need to keep a space for the baby as I know that if mindee is still here I will get a variation for the sibling.:thumbsup:

I've already got a variation for the older brother in the school holidays - would they give me a variation for a baby (term-time and holidays) as well?

The Juggler
03-03-2012, 03:39 PM
I've already got a variation for the older brother in the school holidays - would they give me a variation for a baby (term-time and holidays) as well?

depends on your overall numbers. you wouldn't get more than 4 under 5's and def. no more than 6 under 8's.

singlewiththree
03-03-2012, 07:38 PM
I'm having the child right the way through maternity leave he is only 18mths so there is a close age gap. Then from Sept the baby is coming too :)

mushpea
03-03-2012, 07:42 PM
one parent kept the older child at home and risked loosing the space but then decided not to come back anyway and another parent send the older child for the same amount of days but reduced hours and now both he and the baby comes to me.
it just depends on how mum feels and what they can afford i guess,, i wont hold a space if they dont either send the older child or pay a retainer for the older child .

Cazz
10-03-2012, 09:35 PM
Well I needed to know the answer to this question earlier than I expected ..... mum told me yesterday that she is pregnant!

The baby is due in October and she's asked me not to take any under 1's next year! They can't afford for her to take the full maternity leave so she said they're thinking of around 4 months for sending the baby to me.

I'm very excited now and would love to care for a small baby and they're a lovely family - fingers crossed it all works out.

samb
11-03-2012, 12:34 PM
I have a boy whose Mum was pregnant. She didn't tell me her plans regarding maternity leave/care when going back to work etc at first. The boy came to me 2 days and day nursery 2 days - we were similar price and to be honest I just presumed he would stop coming to me. I had even told an enquiring parent that I may have the space from xxx! However I plucked up the courage and asked if she knew what she would like to do with regards to maternity leave as I had an enquiry. She said, "oh we'll just carry on with our usual contract won't we?!" I said I hadn't wanted to presume so thought I would ask. Anyway, I continued to look after lo 2 days a week, baby was born, couple of months later they asked if I would be able to take baby too, then lo upped days to 4 with me instead of going to day nursery (although I now drop to and pick up from pre school intsead) and baby started with me 3 days a week too! I didn't charge a retainer for baby but I did charge a deposit to keep the space - I did this in November when she knew what days/hours she would want from January. She knew if I had enquiries and possible other work then she would have had to have paid a retainer. Other child I look after changed days short term which affected baby's hours so I applied for a variation and got it.

So basically, I charged less than I would have done in terms of keeping space open purely as I wouldn't have been earning it anyway and as they were good paying pre existing customers that were giving me a lot more work i decided to be "nice"! I do however charge full for their holidays - which they always seem to take a couple of weeks different to me each year so I think it's a bit of give and take.