PDA

View Full Version : advice on working hours please

Bear23
03-03-2012, 09:06 AM
ok when started i worked crazy hours sometimes 12 shifts with a three year old, had another one on 7 to 2, then other days he was 2 till 9,i also had six or seven after schoolers so basically i was working all the time, now the money was good but back then i spent,spent, spent and have nothing to show for it really. And it was madness at tea times etc.

Now some left to go to high school, some just left and others over time changed hours.

Now i have perfect hours
i have a variation
i have three babies 9 till half two
one baby 8 till half four
One after school till six who just has a snack

So basically altho i am mega busy in the day, i have a life again, i'm not tired, i'm not stressed at tea time and i earn enough to cover bills, some treats etc.

But i've started to think about the future and maybe start saving but to do this i need to up my hours again, I've got a lady who wants 3 till 8,
Do i do it and then fill back up with the big ones?? or will i totally regret it??

Basically its a choice between having a great life now or thinking about the future,

Whats more important to you????

FussyElmo
03-03-2012, 09:12 AM
The nice hours are more important to me. Time with my family is so important at night I work to 530 for one boy for 4 days and thats too late.

Me and dh have actually agreed its better for all of us if we keep to the hours and go no later and Im only term time and in no rush to fill the holidays.

Yes we need the money but whats the use of money if you have no quality time :thumbsup:

sarah707
03-03-2012, 09:15 AM
There are 2 of you to consider - how would dd feel about her evenings full of another child?

How long before you resent the time being filled and you not being able to do things for you - even walking the dog in the rain will be harder?

What about when you get yourself a social life again?

Can you make cut backs in other areas first to save some money before making your life harder?

Hth xx

Bear23
03-03-2012, 09:20 AM
hmmmm good advice

Half of me thinks we can make good money in this job so could pile them in for a year or two and save loads

But on the other hand it is lovely now spending loads of time with DD and getting out with the dogs is great

peppa Pig
03-03-2012, 12:53 PM
is you after school mindee term time? if not what about advertising for holiday care? i find the older ones easier in the holidays than after school because you can get out, you could save that money.

I wouldn't work past the 6 o clock you are already doing to be honest you and your family need time away from work.

The Juggler
03-03-2012, 04:01 PM
i have recently (12 months) lost all my after schoolies except a pair of siblings of my 3 year old but they go home at 4pm just after we get in from school run (10 mins max). I then just have the babies until 5/5.30.

Although I know I could max out on after schoolies and make a few hundred poinds more per month I would NOT go back to that again. I like the calm for the babies after 4pm where before it would be madness, arguing and me trying to make tea for everyone.

If you do decide to though hon, don't go for an 8pm finish - you'd hate it :panic:

Bear23
03-03-2012, 04:17 PM
Thanks guys, decided not to do it

Think i would totally regret it, as is all lovely at the moment

Sarah your right i'm prob earning enough now to be able to save a bit :thumbsup: