PDA

View Full Version : Feeling Low

jumping j
02-03-2012, 06:41 PM
Just needing a rant really...
I started childminding last year to help my SIL out who was struggling to find good child care. In a year I've lost count of how many times she's changed days/hours/jobs, I think she's on her 3rd job!!! Knowing they are struggling for money I've tried to keep my fees down and even done a sibling discount, which I didn't want to do, picked them up, dropped them off (because of early starts and late finishes), done random school runs and days etc. Feel like I've bent over backwards to try and help them.
Wednesday night I recieved a text saying SIL is quitting her job of 2 months. She's worked out that she can claim £400+ a month from somewhere so the children will no longer be coming to me. I text back saying written and 4 weeks notice was needed.
2 hours later another text saying she's not going back to work at all, not working her notice and will she still have to pay if the children don't come to me for the 4 week notice. ERR YES!!!!:angry:
I explained why then got a text saying the children wont be coming but can I let them know if we are doing any trips so she can send them on those days.:angry::angry:
I'm am so angry I have just started a lo 2 afternoons a week which would have given me that little bit of a buffer money wise, we are now going to struggle for the coming months, not her fault I know they need to do what's right for them, but added to everything else it just feels like it's just not worth it!!!!
Me and the OH have bets on a phone call coming in a few weeks asking if I can still have the children and part of me hopes I've filled the place, spiteful I know but there we go.
Sorry for the rant but I needed to vent!!!!

rosebud
02-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Working with family / friends is always hard. I hope you pick up some more work soon. :group hug:

Bear23
02-03-2012, 07:22 PM
bless you, something will turn up

i flatly refuse to mind for family or very close friends xx

miffy
02-03-2012, 08:48 PM
It can be very hard working for family :(

Fingers crossed you get some phone calls soon.

Hope your SIL pays you your notice without any more hassle.

Miffy xx

Katiekoo
02-03-2012, 09:03 PM
Oh my, you poor thing, working with family or friends can be hard. I hope you can fill the places and let this chapter end peacefully.

sarah707
03-03-2012, 08:16 AM
So many minders have problems working with family :(

Hugs xx

marnieb
03-03-2012, 08:27 AM
I really feel for you - the minute you feel ok about work is when it all comes crashing down!!!

I'd write letter, stating that x date is the last day of care, fees due to this day will be x amount. If the children are not with you by x time on each contracted day they you are going to assume they are not coming and you will carry on your day as normal, (you dont have to tell her you're going in trips, cheeky mare!).

Hopefully by having it in black and white then there will be no huge fallout for you!

good luck and hope somehting comes along for you soon!!

sandy64
03-03-2012, 06:42 PM
not easy when its family hope you get your 4 weeks fees. sending positive vibes for lots of phone calls to fill your vacancies good luck:)

onceinabluemoon
03-03-2012, 07:02 PM
Hope you soon find something to fill the places.

It's hard working for friends and family, that always seem to want/expect benefits that Joe Public wouldn't get.

Chin up, something will come along

dette
03-03-2012, 07:44 PM
Bless this is hard one . write her a bill , as already been sugested but tell her she can pay it as and when ..seeing as how she'll be better off now on benefits but say seeing as she's family ,if you manage to fill the spaces in the 4 week period you will let her off with the notice period.
I'd probably accept that i might not get all or any of it but wouldnt want to cause a rift as like you said she'll probably be back soon needing you again...family eh..who needs them:rolleyes: