PDA

View Full Version : Given notice of my full timer :( How much do I charge?

NicoleW
02-03-2012, 07:46 AM
A started with me on 30th of January. Parents pay 4 weekly

They didn't pay me (as I agreed to wait for tax credits) until the 8th of February so a week late.

They are due to pay me on the 7th of March. My mindees last day is 22nd of March as he is going on holiday then.

How much should I charge them on the 7th of March I'm really confused

mama2three
02-03-2012, 07:50 AM
So are they paid up to 6th March?
It depends on your contract - mine is full pay for parent holidays and holiday times cannot be part of the notice period so 4 weeks would still be due.

miffy
02-03-2012, 07:52 AM
When did you give notice and how long is your notice period?

My contracts state that holidays are not included in the notice period - did you agree to end the contract on 22/3?

Miffy xx

NicoleW
02-03-2012, 08:03 AM
Parent gave me 4 weeks notice yesterday and already knew he was going on holiday for two weeks on the 22nd.

I didn't agree per say, she wrote me a letter saying "A's last date will be 22nd of March as he is going on holiday so we'd like to start fresh when he gets back"

- I knew this was going to happen to be honest, he's never been really thrilled about coming here in the morning. Think he's just been a bit bored at mine and not enjoying it :( I'm either doing too much or too little!

mama2three
02-03-2012, 08:06 AM
ok , but check your contract - he probably still needs to pay you the full 4 weeks , hols or not!

NicoleW
02-03-2012, 08:10 AM
Ahh yes it says

(Notice of termination of the contact must be given in writing and should not include a period of holiday of either party of childminder's paid time off.)

mama2three
02-03-2012, 08:16 AM
so invoice for the full amount - and if he queries it refer him to part whatever of the contract.
How old is the child - you really havent had him very long , hes probably only just getting used to coming - parents really should give the settling in chance to work!

NicoleW
02-03-2012, 09:34 AM
He is 2.5 years and I've had him 3 weeks

appleblossom
02-03-2012, 09:43 AM
When they paid in February when did they pay up to?

I would say they must pay four weeks from the date they give notice, holidays or not. Add that to anything they already owe and set it out in a letter. If they don't pay on 7th March for the full amount due it's possible they will leave owing you money.

gigglinggoblin
02-03-2012, 10:02 AM
4 weeks notice to be paid unless you had a settling in period in the contract. I have 4 weeks where either of us can terminate without notice period.

angeldelight
02-03-2012, 10:41 AM
Have you not had any money from them at all?

Angel xx

NicoleW
02-03-2012, 11:42 AM
Yep they paid me a week after he started for four weeks becaue I agreed to wait for Tax Credits so he is technically paid up until 7th of March

So sad to see him go to be honest, he's used the toilet all day yesterday and today and I got him a special Cars toilet seat too to help him and he's hardly been getting sad at all about missing his mum and dad all week and he's been wanting cuddles from me when he's tired instead of crying to be home.

:( I think they've found another Childminder and now I'm paranoid that maybe I'm not doing as much as I should? I must admit I don't engage in play as often as I could but we do messy play once a day and we go out once a day and read books together, perhaps I need to do more one to one playing games on the floor with them? Or take them out to more exciting places rather than the shop, post office, library, playgroups, childminder's houses

Little Pickles
02-03-2012, 12:42 PM
Don't beat yourself up about it . I know its not always easy not to feel paranoid but try to remember that everyone is different. The main thing is that the child was happy in your care - the parents could be moving him for many reasons , maybe the other childminder is nearer their home or on their route to work ?
Why don't you ask the parent to complete a questionaire on your service before they leave - then you may be able to identify a reason for them leaving or just ask casually why they are leaving ?
Good luck and remember that child's happy little face when you doubt yourself!

NicoleW
02-03-2012, 05:18 PM
I spoke to Dad on pickup about the notice, he said he was more than happy to have me pick up and drop off but his wife is insisting that A be closer to her (they are 30 minutes away)

Last week he had a really bad UTI infection he was screaming and Dad had to pick him up early, mum was worried and it took Dad just a bit over half an hour to reach us and he said it has panicked her and now she wants him very close by.

Dad said it'll be sad when he leaves as A will miss being here and he said if it was up to him he wouldn't leave but his wife is pretty insistant lol.

Feel a bit better though knowing it's not because I'm doing a crap job!