PDA

View Full Version : Tax Credits

melco
01-03-2012, 09:29 PM
Hi,

I have just had a lady come for a visit and it went really well and she wants to use me:clapping:, but she said that she will be getting tax credits to help her pay for childcare. What does that mean for me? Do I need to do anything? Am just a bit nervous as first one!!

Also the child is not due to start until the 19th April and I did mention a retainer fee and what it is but did not say an amount, how do I bring it up again without being rude? :oAnd because of her circumstances how much do I ask for?

I am really happy especially as she went to see other childminders who have been doing it a long time and decided to go with me who has only been registered 3 weeks!! But just want to make sure that I am doing everything right!!

Thanks

Mel

Shamai
01-03-2012, 10:04 PM
I'm quite new myself but I would definitely sit down with her and go through the contract so that she understands exactly what she needs to pay and by when, whether you are having settling in sessions etc. If I understand correctly, a retainer fee is usually charged at half your normal fee ie. if you charge £240 per week she will need to pay you a retainer of £120 per week until 19th April but obviously you can charge whatever you feel comfortable with. Even tho she is getting money from tax credits, the contract is between you and her and she will need to make sure she can pay you if there is a delay in any money she receives from Tax Credits office. Sorry I've not been much help, hopefully you'll get a more detailed reply shortly :) x

aly
01-03-2012, 10:21 PM
TAx Credits.. - You do not need to do anything apart from give her your URN number...this will be for tax credits.....but I would only give her this once contracts have been signed and depostis etc as there are a few people accessing these for fraudently claims. She needs to make sure she has the money ready to pay you whether or not they pay her ...

anita howarth
01-03-2012, 10:24 PM
Hi,

I have just had a lady come for a visit and it went really well and she wants to use me:clapping:, but she said that she will be getting tax credits to help her pay for childcare. What does that mean for me? Do I need to do anything? Am just a bit nervous as first one!!

Also the child is not due to start until the 19th April and I did mention a retainer fee and what it is but did not say an amount, how do I bring it up again without being rude? :oAnd because of her circumstances how much do I ask for?

I am really happy especially as she went to see other childminders who have been doing it a long time and decided to go with me who has only been registered 3 weeks!! But just want to make sure that I am doing everything right!!

Thanks

Mel
hello
tax credits well lol. i usually tell my new mums to inform the tax credits asap as it takes credits about 2-3 weeks to kick in to the parents bank.
i also get paid in advance so working for 3 weeks without any money doesnt happen as i`ve been left out of pocket before now..
if mum was out of work i know for lone parents the job centre can pay the first 2 wks childcare costs while tax credits kick in.
be firm , the payment is not your problem where they get their monies from , you are providing a service which you want paying for.
i find money the only horrible thing about having your own business.

hope that helps