PDA

View Full Version : mountain buggy or nipper 360?

nipper
01-03-2012, 02:46 PM
Ok so I know the main issue is cost, but could you lovely ladies help me out here? This pushchair has to be bomb-proof, being used every day possibly with a buggy board of some sort. I have a lascal seat-to go at the moment, but not sure if it will attach to either, so might need to look into a buggy board with a single attachment point which can go on the brake bar or whatever it is.

onceinabluemoon
01-03-2012, 08:12 PM
Mountain buggy definitely.

the handle to frame distance is better for a child's head and shoulders to poke through when using a buggy board. The buggy board is far easier to attach and does not alter the ability to use the brake. It has 4 wheels so is more stable then the 3 wheeler. It is narrower so will fit through the door with children in (nipper says it does but the reality is that it will not fit through most days unless you flip a wheel off which is easy enough when empty but blooming hard when loaded with kiddies. If you are buying used check out the serial number as some form 2005 were recalled due to handle probs (there is a list on the net)

Both lay virtually flat, both have fab hoods, the nipper is slightly easier to push but then doesn't fit in to a lot of places so what you gain in easiness you lose in ability to get into some houses/shops. I've seen people flip nippers on more than one occasion when they've pushed one handled and caught the curb. Nippers are fab to push, there is no doubt.

Mountain buggies are also easier to lay down and sit back up. They have two straps either side which simple slide through a mechanism. Old nipper has an annoying mechanism whereby you have to push the seat up, pull the netting around the seat and then clip the clips together - you need 3 hands... New nipper has the same mechanism as the P&T explorer, you need 3 hands ...
Nipper looks nicer and looks less 'countryside' ish, the fold seems smaller than the mountain buggy. Nippers wheels are easier to get off than mountain buggies (MBs front wheels have to be unscrewed, not hard but harder than flipping a bar down). Both are quite large folds. Nipper is MUCH lighter (the old one) although if you're buying new watch out for the new weight, the improvements they made add on almost 3 kg!!

Bizarrely they are now both made by the same company - Phil and Teds! I have had both the MB urban double and the nipper 360 at the same time so have been able to compare fully. I made the decision to keep the MB but then found MB had released a side by side twin that was only 25 inches wide and sold my MBUD about bought that. (MB Duet) to give comparison of how narrow that is a P&T explorer is 24.5 inches...

nipper
03-03-2012, 12:39 PM
Funnily enough, it was the mountain buggy duet that I was looking at. Thanks for the great advice.

muffins
03-03-2012, 01:41 PM
please stop talking about this buggy, I'm a confessed buggy addict who has always wanted one and has so far resisted:laughing:

nipper
04-03-2012, 10:52 AM
I must admit I am fast becoming a mountain buggy owner...maybe next month:laughing:

PixiePetal
04-03-2012, 10:59 AM
I have a really old mountain buggy terrain, bought from ebay. Only use it bumping round the fields and woods on our farm - didn't want to ruin my P&T which I use in town :)

Love it, def bomb proof!

onceinabluemoon
04-03-2012, 11:50 AM
It doesn't seems as strong as the urban, it rattles when you push it too, not dreadfully but definitely something I hadn't experienced with the urban double (you can easily remover the little red clips on the brakes which helps get rid of the rattle but it doesn't eradicate it totally). It is not quite as easy to push as the double urban either, this could be due to the fact that the Duet only has 10 inch wheels instead of 12 inch like the urban/other MBs. When they originally produced it in this country one of the hoods had a hole in it where it attaches to the handle so is not good as a shower hood (check this if you're buying 2nd hand)

Some things are better, for example the wheel axles pull in under the frame when you take the wheels off so no more catching your ankles on wheel axles as you walk past the buggy when it's folded and put away, its much narrower and fits through all my doors including the ones with safety gates attached (4 inches narrower than the urban, which was 2 or 3 inches narrower than the nipper). It also fits through our preschool doors which are double doors and narrow than normal single ones. Its a smaller fold too (by quite a few inches in both L and H directions, not sure about width as I didn't measure). Twin hoods are much better as you can get a generic waterproof to fit on one side if you have a child who hates waterproofs and one who needs the cover. Similarly if you get a carrycot for one side you still have a hood on the other. Thank goodness they left the seat-adjustment mechanism alone as that is perfect and all P&T ones I have tried are a pin in the butt. The waterproofs (which you have to buy separately) have a wide zip up/down panel allowing you to access the children without taking the whole waterproof off (but it also had the horrid plastic 'support' that P&T waterproofs have at the bottom making it hard to fold, don't know what they had to change that...

miffy
04-03-2012, 06:09 PM
please stop talking about this buggy, I'm a confessed buggy addict who has always wanted one and has so far resisted:laughing:

:laughing::laughing:

I have never heard of a mountain buggy :blush: but I feel I'm missing out :laughing:

Miffy xx

muffins
04-03-2012, 11:20 PM
:laughing::laughing:

I have never heard of a mountain buggy :blush: but I feel I'm missing out :laughing:

Miffy xx

Dont look!:laughing:

nipper
05-03-2012, 10:49 AM
you will regret it...:panic::laughing: