PDA

View Full Version : Keeping registration open while not minding

snufflepuff
01-03-2012, 11:44 AM
My second baby is due in July and I'm planning on taking quite a long time off- my son starts school September 2013 and until then I'd only be able to care for one child. For £3.50ph minus expenses it's just not worth it. I might not come back to minding at all to be honest but we will see.

Anyway, I know I can keep my registration open and I'll just have to pay the yearly ofsted fee. Do I also need to keep paying for my insurance?

Also, my first aid runs out in about November this year. Is it okay to let this lapse and do it again before I start minding again, or does it have to be up to date as a condition of registration? There's a course running in September this year but I don't think I'll want to/ be able to leave my 2 month old baby, who I will be breastfeeding, for 2 whole days!

NicoleW
01-03-2012, 02:29 PM
I think it has to be up to date for registration requirements chick :)

snufflepuff
01-03-2012, 03:56 PM
Oh pants! I'm not sure how I'm going to do that. The courses are either in July, which I can't do because the baby is due, or September, which I won't be able to do if I'm breastfeeding.

Linda Mc
01-03-2012, 05:36 PM
I've not being doing this for long so please don't take this as gospel! :blush: But going by the experience of my sister-in-law, who went through the whole process but didn't start childminding ( long story!)

She received a letter from OFSTED a few months later saying that if she didn't have any mindees within 3 years of her first inital inspection she would have to start the process all over again! :)

flowerpots
01-03-2012, 05:55 PM
Im not sure about the first ais hun but you do still have to pay insurance. x

sarah707
01-03-2012, 06:17 PM
I'd check with Ofsted on first aid - but I think so as it is a condition of registration like insurance.

Hth :D

snufflepuff
01-03-2012, 06:32 PM
Thank you, I'll ask ofsted about the first aid. Hopefully they will be understanding about why I can't do a first aid course and will let me hold off for a while, just until baby is a bit older and can be left for the day- worth asking I suppose!

Registration and insurance paid for until next February so don't need to worry about that.

dette
01-03-2012, 06:45 PM
Most official places dont like to be seen to be discriminating towards breastfeeding mothers and their children as the basic rights of the child are to be fed so a baby of that age could not be expected to go a full day without milk.I personally would try and get on first aid ASAP but if there are none available then play the breast feeding card.
i kept my registation open for 3 years and i didnt get insurance but i hadnt realised i had to and nobody asked.just started it by phone the week before mindee started .OFSTED rang every 6 months to check if i was minding

snufflepuff
01-03-2012, 06:50 PM
I personally would try and get on first aid ASAP but if there are none available then play the breast feeding card.

Unfortunately the next course is in July, but baby is due in July so that's no good. Although I suppose the other trainees might get some good hands on experience of a woman in labour, lol!

dette
01-03-2012, 07:47 PM
Unfortunately the next course is in July, but baby is due in July so that's no good. Although I suppose the other trainees might get some good hands on experience of a woman in labour, lol!

I did my next to last training (3 1/2 yr ago) at 8 month pregnant.The trainer spent the whole time putting a waste paper bin closer and closer to my chair "just incase" he said:laughing:
The only hard part was we all took turns to be "volunteers" and my turn was for choking victim needing hymlic manouver.brought up loads of dilemas about harming the baby.ended up spending the night in hospital after it as i passed out when i got home.was painful sitting on uncomfortable chairs all day with short legs and a seperating pelvis.wouldnt recomend it:(