PDA

View Full Version : Potty training!! (maybe a bit of a rant)

buzzy bee
01-03-2012, 07:49 AM
I've just had ANOTHER mum of a not-yet 2-year old boy turn up and ask me to keep asking him if he wants to go on the potty, and keep putting him on it. Apparently he was in pants yesterday but is in a nappy today. She then said to him "let's get you out of nappies in the day by the time you're 2".

First of all, my DS is 26 months and still in nappies so I hope she doesn't think I'm terrible for not bothering with him!!

But also, doesn't she realise I have enough to do with 3 children without having to constantly ask him if he needs to use the potty??

In my opinion a child should be potty trained when THEY are asking to use the potty! It's fine for mums to keep asking at home when they've only got 1 (if they really want to!!) but when you have other children and things planned it's a lot to ask.

Sorry, rant over!!

sarah707
01-03-2012, 08:07 AM
Nooooo! Parents must establish potty training at home first for a good few days until lo is pretty much sorted.

Then you can support them - not do it for them! Give mum a copy of your policy to re-read tonight.

Poor child forced to do something he's not ready for. I feel so sorry for them when they are being pushed :(

cabby
01-03-2012, 08:18 AM
the mum of my 14mnt non walking, non talking mindee asked me yesterday if i had any potty training tips because she was going to start :eek::eek::eek:i told her the biggest tip i had was to NOT start yet!!!!!!apparently she was out of nappies by 18 mnts so he should be as well.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

buzzy bee
01-03-2012, 08:32 AM
14 months - that's crazy!!

Thanks for the advice Sarah... I don't actually have a potty training policy so maybe I should write one!

uf353432
01-03-2012, 08:37 AM
I must pretty laid back when it comes to potty training. I am happy to assist with potty training right from the start, as long as I have lots of changes of clothes I get on with my routine just fine. If after a week it doesn't look like the penny has dropped in erm spending a penny I suggest they wait a while longer. But am always happy to help test the water. I just don't see it as a problem.

caz3007
01-03-2012, 12:29 PM
I have had the same, I have a LO who is two this month and last month mum took a week off to train, but gave up after a couple of days....thats fine cos knew LO wasnt ready.

Asked for another packet of nappies last week and mum made comments about trying again as soon as she is 2. Cant see her being ready yet, but hey ho we will see. I have a week off during the summer holidays and I feel that would be a great time to crack it, hopefully mum and LO can spend most of the week in the garden, so accidents dont matter so much. Also it will then all be well established by the time I have school runs to do again

rickysmiths
01-03-2012, 12:59 PM
I am the same as Sarah.

I don't do potty training the parents must get it going and have them dry for the most part. This isn't a problem if the child is ready. I recommend the parents take holiday and stay at home.

I don't use potties either. I can't with other children running around. They have to use the toilet from the beginning. It has never been a problem.

CH1957
01-03-2012, 01:18 PM
the mum of my 14mnt non walking, non talking mindee asked me yesterday if i had any potty training tips because she was going to start :eek::eek::eek:i told her the biggest tip i had was to NOT start yet!!!!!!apparently she was out of nappies by 18 mnts so he should be as well.......:rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

I dont think the childs age is the deciding factor, more to do with if they are ready and realise that they actually need to go. My DD's were 19 months and 16 months but they were both asking/taking off their nappies and it only took a week to be dry/clean and another 2 months during the night. My DS on the other hand was nearly 3 before he was ready.
You obviously know he isnt ready, but good luck explaining it to mum.