PDA

View Full Version : Sensory bottles

tash 1
29-02-2012, 07:52 PM
Hi been collecting different size bottles for sensory activities and wondering if duct tape alone would hold water in or is glue better, if so what type would u use to seel lid.also what effect corn syrup has mixed with water,is this different consistency than baby oil.as for ideas I have:
Lentals,sand,shells,eye spy bottle,glitter,different food colouring,black and White.love to hear your creations!! Also where can u buy corn syrup from?Tashx:D

littlecheeks
29-02-2012, 08:19 PM
maybe waterproof clear sealent? like for kitchens bathrooms? would need to check its safe for kids though? not sure on duck tape??
sand, paper clips? umm...

miffy
29-02-2012, 08:50 PM
Some ideas on this thread

http://childmindinghelp.co.uk/forum/showthread.php?t=62239&highlight=sensory+bottles

Miffy xx

miss mopple
29-02-2012, 08:55 PM
PVA has help mine on well :thumbsup: I have:

Shells and sand
Oil and water
Water and glitter
Colour themed ones
pom poms
lentils
pasta
metal things( for magnet use)

really need to make some more- the kids love them

AgentTink
29-02-2012, 08:58 PM
I have made over 35 bottles now and the kids favourite is the one with feathers in. No other bottle is as light and the kids get confused every time they shake it cos it doesn't make a sound :) I have super glued my bottle tops and then got shiny paper which I put over the top with a elastic band to make sure that no top just pops open.

PixiePetal
29-02-2012, 10:02 PM
I have ones mentioned and..........

out of date 100s and 1000s sprinkles :)
old coins - found some pre decimal and foreign ones when we cleared in laws house
Been collecting tiny toys - out of crackers etc - but not filled this one yet
coloured tissue paper slightly scrunched - another lightweight one :)
tiny bells - from craft shop

can't think what else right now and ideas come to mind every now and then :thumbsup:

tash 1
29-02-2012, 10:06 PM
Thanks guys,can imagine this craft coming a bit addictive.Tashx:laughing:

jadavi
29-02-2012, 10:09 PM
This sounds lovely
What bottles do you use?

PixiePetal
29-02-2012, 10:12 PM
This sounds lovely
What bottles do you use?

Mine are all the smallest coke bottles - shape is easy to hold and not too heavy even with water or metal things in for LOs to get a grip :thumbsup:

I use strong PVA for the lids and get my friend to tighten them - I can't open anything she does up!

I have a glue gun now so might use that too

tash 1
29-02-2012, 10:27 PM
This sounds lovely
What bottles do you use?

I have lovely small water bottles with screw top lid we buy from cosco and also larger bottles(inocent juice bottle) for the older kids with shredded tissue paper and various eye spy objects.or layered coloured sand.
Anyone used the corn syrup?Tashx:D

lulubelle
01-03-2012, 08:12 AM
Never heard of them but now on my list to make!

tashaleee
01-03-2012, 08:55 AM
Quite like the sound of these... do you have a range of different size bottles or all the same?

tash 1
01-03-2012, 09:28 AM
Quite like the sound of these... do you have a range of different size bottles or all the same?
Basically any type of plastic bottle never glass mini pop bottles from corner shop great for younger ones to grip ang get little finger round,I'm going to buy a large Pom juice bottle as this has lovely shape to get lots of layers of coloured sand packed in or seasonal eye spy bottle.Tashx

tash 1
01-03-2012, 09:38 AM
PVA has help mine on well :thumbsup: I have:

Shells and sand
Oil and water
Water and glitter
Colour themed ones
pom poms
lentils
pasta
metal things( for magnet use)

really need to make some more- the kids love them

Lynda,your blog is great looks like you have lots of fun down where u are.who ever thought salad spinners would come back in fashion am defiantly going to try this activity.was it hard to clean?Tashx:laughing:

Zoomie
01-03-2012, 09:59 AM
I usually use lucazade bottles because they are clear and do not have any 'imprints' on them.

jellybean cc
01-03-2012, 10:54 PM
Sounds stupid i know but what do you use to get the glue of the bottles that they use to stick the labels on with. I have some nice little water bottles but just cant seem to get the sticky of so have filled them with bits but not used them with the children yet
Any idea's would be great thanks :thumbsup:

stardust
01-03-2012, 11:26 PM
Hi been collecting different size bottles for sensory activities and wondering if duct tape alone would hold water in or is glue better, if so what type would u use to seel lid.also what effect corn syrup has mixed with water,is this different consistency than baby oil.as for ideas I have:
Lentals,sand,shells,eye spy bottle,glitter,different food colouring,black and White.love to hear your creations!! Also where can u buy corn syrup from?Tashx:D

also try
* water, cooking oil and golden syrup. (Lava lamp effect)
* Colored pasta and rice.
* Sand.
* Silver matalic paint- when added to water it looks like a snow storm in a bottle- brilliant for the bear hunt x

Monkey1
02-03-2012, 05:52 AM
I have made some season ones too

JulieA
02-03-2012, 07:34 AM
I have made some season ones too

Me too! I have to say it started off with just a couple to show basic colours and has now expanded somewhat. I'll take a photo later and upload - hubby in dispair yet again!!!

watgem
02-03-2012, 06:14 PM
I sealed mine with superglue and duct tape, 5 years ago they are still finexxx