PDA

View Full Version : How do you go about getting references from parents?

Maza
29-02-2012, 06:42 PM
Just out of curiosity, how do you all get references from former parents? Do you get them to write/email you something as soon as they leave or do you give new/potential parents a contact address/number /email (with permission of course) so that they can get in touch with your former families? I find the whole reference thing quite cringey and I know parents are busy and don't want to give them an extras chore!

Thanks all. x

EmmaReed84
29-02-2012, 06:55 PM
I get parents to fill in a questionnaire every 4-6 months asking how they feel about my setting, me, the care I provide, the food I provide, how they feel the children are getting on etc.

I have only been minding since Aug but so far I actually have 4 complete questionnaire by 2 different parents with some really nice positive feedback. I have asked them if they mind me using some of the comments in my promotional work.. website, leaflets, in my portfolio etc. One parent even said that if it helps I can actually show my questionnaire to parents (although I wouldn't actually do that) I have quoted somethings and blanked out names and referenced where I got the quote from

These are also used towards my SEF

winstonian
29-02-2012, 07:20 PM
I've struggled with this - I have 2 little ones leaving after nearly 2 years and their mum cant be bothered to do me a reference - its really annoying as I have done lots for them. So ive asked some of my other parents and they've written me some lovely references _ which worked perfectly when a new mum visited yesterday so I've filled the space already:)

littlecheeks
29-02-2012, 08:22 PM
i do a leaving feedback form and leave space for a reference and ask if they would be happy for parents to speak to them about the care they received. i suppose you cant force some though! maybe at the least they may agree to speak to prospective parents.

miffy
29-02-2012, 08:57 PM
I ask parents (and children if they're old enough) to do me a leaving reference - some do, some don't.

Miffy xx

The Juggler
29-02-2012, 11:23 PM
i've never asked for a formal reference. I keep all my cards (xmas, thank you, leaving etc) and my parent questionnaires.

If you need a specific one for a specific purpose then I would do a form asking just those questions and sit the parents down with a cuppa, ask the questions and fill it in form them :thumbsup:

helengreen13
01-03-2012, 07:09 AM
I have reviews on childcare.co.uk and I also do 6 monthly questionnaires. I also have some parent that are hippy for me to give out their number to potential new parents and give verbal references over the phone. Works for us.

Sunflowers