PDA

View Full Version : Screamer Alert!!

Pandypops
29-02-2012, 02:24 PM
Oh dear God, I got rid of a screamer who wouldn't settle a few months ago and all was rosy. Unfortunately, I seem to have acquired another one :panic:

All was fine on her settling-in sessions but her first day yesterday, and so far all of today, she has screamed at the top of her voice. It's non-stop and upsetting the other children and me. I can't calm her or distract her and she won't respond to anything. She even fell asleep at the front door earlier because she went there for a scream and tired herself out. She's 13 months old so not a tiny baby.

I have taken to letting her just get on with it and see if that has any effect. I am due to have her on Mon/Tues/Weds and I am already thinking about how my notice letter is going to sound - how bad is that!!

Any words of advice, sanity or encouragement appreciated. 6pm seems a long way away right now.....

leeloo1
29-02-2012, 05:40 PM
Its ^very^ early days, so new screamer may well improve. Try not to be prejudiced against new little one because of your past experience (hard I know) and give lots of cuddles as she gets used to being away from her parents. Also at 13 mths it could be separation anxiety, so ask parents to bring fave toy/blanket from home to comfort her.

Pandypops
29-02-2012, 07:33 PM
Yes, it is hard to keep an open mind after past experiences but I am going to do just that. I have been giving her lots of cuddles and attention but it never seems to be enough and I have to go off and change nappies, prepare food etc.. and she has a complete breakdown each time.

Fingers crossed she does settle down. Her Mum is a real nervous type and this has obviously been passed on to her so I hope I can help her be more confident.

Hard work ahead!!

jumping j
29-02-2012, 08:33 PM
I've just had this with a 13 month old and it was definately seperation anxiety.
I got out toys I knew the lo liked and did the distraction technique, He's gone from screaming for a full 45mins to around 5mins, hopefully soon it'll be gone altogether!!!

guest3
24-04-2012, 01:44 PM
I've just had this with a 13 month old and it was definately seperation anxiety.
I got out toys I knew the lo liked and did the distraction technique, He's gone from screaming for a full 45mins to around 5mins, hopefully soon it'll be gone altogether!!!

How long did this last for Jumping Jax and has lo eventually settled?

I ask because I have a little girl of 13 months who comes to me 3 days a week. She's been coming since the beginning of January and is quite happy waving goodbye to her mum at the door but then it starts. If I don't pick her up immediately (which I'm trying not to do), she starts to create and needs constant attention although I try hard to distract her. The 5 year old I take to school only has to go near her, and she screaches at him!

Although she's perfectly used to my own children being around too (and they're really good with little ones!) she won't let them near her or me :(
When we go to toddler groups or soft play, she plays a bit, but if I so much as move a muscle (even to get her another toy or book out) she screams the place down. It's getting so bad that people are constantly looking at me as if to say "what are you doing to her?"

I really don't know what to do with her! :ohdear:

jumping j
24-04-2012, 01:56 PM
It's quite hit and miss even after a few months, he seems to hate being separated from me now.
It depends which other lo's I have as well.
When I have the 3 and 4 year olds there's no screaming but when I have the 1 and 2 year olds it's constant
He sometimes follows me round the house making a constant drone,
now I know it's not a separation thing I'm trying my best to ignore him, I pick him up and give him attention when he stops. It's hard going but I'm determined to get him used to being a bit more independent.

It took about a month to 6 weeks to get over the separation from mum but I only had lo for 2 afternoons

I know a CM who has a lo who screams even if someone looks at him, she just makes sure she only goes to places with other CM's that understand. I couldn't put up with it constantly and I don't know how she does it

guest3
24-04-2012, 04:04 PM
He sometimes follows me round the house making a constant drone,
now I know it's not a separation thing I'm trying my best to ignore him, I pick him up and give him attention when he stops. It's hard going but I'm determined to get him used to being a bit more independent.

It took about a month to 6 weeks to get over the separation from mum but I only had lo for 2 afternoons

I know a CM who has a lo who screams even if someone looks at him, she just makes sure she only goes to places with other CM's that understand. I couldn't put up with it constantly and I don't know how she does it

Aww thanks for your reply. It's definately not a separation from Mum....it's from me!
Like you, I'm trying to ignore her and only give her attention when she's not screaming! When she is screaming, she hangs round my legs and looks up at me, wanting to get my attention.
She also screams if anyone so much as looks at her and she doesn't want them too!

Whoever said childminding was an easy option?!:rolleyes: