PDA

View Full Version : Is it impetigo?

29-02-2012, 12:21 PM
I have a mindee that has a spotty rash that is gradually spreading all over his face. Just as one spot seems to clear up another appears. He has had a nasty cold for weeks now which does seem to be getting better. I bumped into another mindees parent the other day who said her LO has gone down with impetigo and it has got me thinking about this other mindee with the spotty rash.....has he got impetigo too? I have never seen impetigo so don't really know what I am supposed to be looking out for. He has got a very sore scabby nose too from his cold and when I was wiping it early, the scab seems to be oozzzing. Really don't know what to do for the best.

JCrakers
29-02-2012, 12:25 PM
Impetigo starts off as a red area that then weeps and scabs but doesn't heal so doesnt go. And spreads rapidly on the child and to others.

From my experience it's been around mouth nose area but other areas are affected. Is it like a scabby crusty rash that is a bit weepy?

catminder
29-02-2012, 12:28 PM
Sounds like it possibly could be impetigo. I would ask parents to take him to the doctors for a diagnosis. Cream and/or antibiotics may be prescribed. It's quite contagious and should be treated before he returns to you. Exclusion period is until the lesions have crusted over.

miffy
29-02-2012, 12:43 PM
There are some pictures here

http://www.google.co.uk/search?tbm=isch&hl=en&source=hp&biw=1275&bih=926&q=impetigo+pictures&gbv=2&oq=impetigo&aq=1&aqi=g10&aql=&gs_sm=1&gs_upl=1208l3300l0l6350l8l8l0l2l2l0l102l415l5.1l6l 0

Don't look if you're eating!

Miffy xx

The Juggler
29-02-2012, 01:53 PM
impetigo is a classic 'honey' colour usually :)