PDA

View Full Version : Mindee being v.rude to his mum

nessynoodle
29-02-2012, 08:28 AM
Hi all

I have had a mindee come today in tears telling his mum she is a liar and getting frustrated with everything she does. E.G. I wanted mum to get me this toy and she said she would but she got the wrong one, she lied to me. He is clearly frustrated but needs to learn to appreciate peoples efforts/take responsibility for getting own toys before coming. He needs to understand how his words can upset her and how to deal with his own emotion.

Was going to have a chat with him (he is 5 1/2) but I want to create an activity or read a story or something that has more of a lasting effect that he ca relate to and reaally learn from. Could be a few ongoing activities about emotion, relationships etc. Any Ideas that would be tailored to this specific situation???!!

Thanks in advance x

QualityCare
29-02-2012, 09:26 AM
At 51/2 he should be made to realise that his mum didn't lie to him she made a mistake by picking up the wrong one and like you say he could have got it himself also explain that it wasn't a nice way to talk to his mum. Yes talk about emotions and feelings with him acknowledging that you both know he was upset and suggest better ways to express them.

FussyElmo
29-02-2012, 10:15 AM
Im sorry but if my son who is five called me a liar for buying him a toy and mistakenly buying him the wrong one. He would have had the toy taken him and told about his ungraciuosness. But hey that just me.

nessynoodle
29-02-2012, 12:59 PM
Im sorry but if my son who is five called me a liar for buying him a toy and mistakenly buying him the wrong one. He would have had the toy taken him and told about his ungraciuosness. But hey that just me.

It wasn't bought for him it was from his room to bring to my house this morning.

I know what you are both saying and it isn't the right way to behaviour and he should be told that...which he is by us both (she isn't being soft and he isn't spoilt) But just recently he has been VERY sensitive and getting like this with his mum in particular a lot. I can sit down and tell him right from wrong and his mum can discipline him but children learn more from experience and I just thought I could back all this up with specific activities focusing on expressing feelings and treating other people with respect.

I do focus on positive behaviour so when he is polite etc he will be praised/get reward tokens and this does work however I do feel this is more about how he is feeling and why he is feeling like that, he gets genuinely upset quite often and seems to feel he is not being heard (although he is but maybe feels that when he doesnt get his way he thinks people are not understanding him)

sarah707
29-02-2012, 06:24 PM
It's mothers day coming up ... talk about love and respect and caring for people who love us.

Hth :D

nessynoodle
29-02-2012, 09:20 PM
I ended up doing a brilliant activity sorting through kind words and not so kind words and then using some words to describe mum and dad. Was very effective and the chat after the activity went so well, better than me just talking at him, he listened, answered himself and understood.

miffy
01-03-2012, 07:51 AM
I ended up doing a brilliant activity sorting through kind words and not so kind words and then using some words to describe mum and dad. Was very effective and the chat after the activity went so well, better than me just talking at him, he listened, answered himself and understood.

That's great. A couple of years ago we made flowers for Mother's Day - in the centre we wrote "My mum is" and on each petal a word or sentence to describe their mum (in children's own words), mum's loved them so that might be a nice, positive activity for him for Mother's Day.

Miffy xx