PDA

View Full Version : What do you use?

adele1985
29-02-2012, 08:01 AM
At the moment my mindees just use a towel between then for drying hands after going to the toilet (gets changed every day) is this okay?

I was thinking either getting all my mindees a hand towel each and hanging then up on pegs in the bathroom ( with their picture above each peg)

Or getting some paper toweks and just using them

what would you do ??

allison
29-02-2012, 08:04 AM
mine use flannels. they have 1 each and its changed every day. these are hung on a peg in the bathroom with their name and a picture of them above each peg.

amanda1309
29-02-2012, 08:06 AM
I have a pile of face cloths under the sink. They use one then put itvin a basket which I empty every night and was whenever the machine goes on. :)

mama2three
29-02-2012, 08:06 AM
I use paper towels as its whats recommended on the bottom of the HPA infection control poster. I know lots use flannels or individual towels- i remember a few members have had negative inspection comments about sharing towels.

rickysmiths
29-02-2012, 08:13 AM
Ofsted will frown on one towel for all. I think I put on your other thread where you asked this.

I got little towels from Dunelm and they have different animals on them. I also have a pile of different coloured flannels from Ikea so quite cheap if I want to use them.

I have suction hooks in my toilet, so each child has their own towel on a hook and they don't touch as they hang, some thing else Ofsted can be funny about. Also it means I can take them down when I'm not minding.

The towels are washed every day.

nikki thomson
29-02-2012, 08:14 AM
Paper towels, stops ofsted whining, you can buy them really cheap.
Only my mindee is allowed to use them make my kids use a normal towel keeps the cost down. X

EmmaReed84
29-02-2012, 08:21 AM
I have some small peg in my downstairs loo (quite lucky as it is a fair size) each peg has a towel for each child (blue and pink ;)) then I have a green towel which is for everyone else... this kids so far only really use them for washing hands at meal times so I only wash them once a week :blush:

I do like the idea of paper towels though for toiletting though.

JulieA
29-02-2012, 08:22 AM
I have a pile of face cloths under the sink. They use one then put itvin a basket which I empty every night and was whenever the machine goes on. :)

Me too! The flannels are used once so no re or cross infection.

loocyloo
29-02-2012, 08:24 AM
i use paper towels, although there is a towel hanging up for family. DH doesn't like using paper towels at home!

sonia ann
29-02-2012, 08:27 AM
Ofsted will frown on one towel for all. I think I put on your other thread where you asked this.

I got little towels from Dunelm and they have different animals on them. I also have a pile of different coloured flannels from Ikea so quite cheap if I want to use them.

I have suction hooks in my toilet, so each child has their own towel on a hook and they don't touch as they hang, some thing else Ofsted can be funny about. Also it means I can take them down when I'm not minding.

The towels are washed every day.

exactly the same here :):)

jumping j
29-02-2012, 08:49 AM
I have a different coloured towel for each child, it matches their toothbrush, LJ, plate, bowl and beaker!! but I'm starting to run out of colours as I have 6 boys and don't want to give them 'girls' colours, their words not mine!!!:panic:

Mouse
29-02-2012, 08:59 AM
I use kitchen roll for the minded children. I tear it up into separate squares & leave a pile of them next to the sink in the bathroom & a pile downstairs. I also have a couple of hand towels out for family use.

I have to be honest, this is another inconsistency that really annoys me. Our nursery has 2 towels out for use by all the children. The towels are left out all day, so that can be up to 70 children a day using them over the morning & afternoon sessions. I have never once seen mention of it in their Ofsted reports, whereas childminders would be pulled up for having just 2 children sharing the same towel!

moogster1a
29-02-2012, 09:32 AM
I use one towel for all of them and replace it each day.
I got in touch with the chief environmental health officer of lancashire ( who knows an awful lot more about infection control than an OFSTED inspector!) and he said that having individual towels will make no difference when the children are in such close contact anyway through playing etc.
he saw no need for paper towels etc.
He did reccommend that a child with an infectious skin complaint ( scabies etc. ) has their own towel, but they would not be in my setting anyway till it had cleared up.
He helpfully put it in an email which I printed off in case Mrs. O ever moaned.

AliceK
29-02-2012, 09:44 AM
I used to use paper towels but it creates so much waste which as we are meant to be cutting down on waste, rubbish going to landfill etc clearly isn't great plus the fact that here we are being limited to the amount of rubbish we can put out for the dustbin men as from next month made me re-think this. I did think about using seperate flannels for each child changed each day but that would mean washing up to 8 flannels per day which again I'm not happy to do. So, I now use 1 hand towel for all and change it every day. I can't see why that should be a hygiene issue and will argue my case with Mrs O if need be.

xxxx

littlecheeks
29-02-2012, 10:36 AM
i use a flannel and hand towel for each child. they all have there own colour which i carry one with other things. i dont think i would use the same towel for everyone.

BuggsieMoo
29-02-2012, 10:46 AM
Paper towels, stops ofsted whining, you can buy them really cheap.
Only my mindee is allowed to use them make my kids use a normal towel keeps the cost down. X

I do the same :)

Roseolivia
29-02-2012, 10:59 AM
I have 1 hand towel for whoever but also have paper towels in there, but you know what, the children use the hand towel:)

miffy
29-02-2012, 12:47 PM
I use small flannels from Ikea, clean one per child per wash.

Miffy xx

Tatjana
29-02-2012, 01:38 PM
I use one towel for all of them and replace it each day.
I got in touch with the chief environmental health officer of lancashire ( who knows an awful lot more about infection control than an OFSTED inspector!) and he said that having individual towels will make no difference when the children are in such close contact anyway through playing etc.
he saw no need for paper towels etc.
He did reccommend that a child with an infectious skin complaint ( scabies etc. ) has their own towel, but they would not be in my setting anyway till it had cleared up.
He helpfully put it in an email which I printed off in case Mrs. O ever moaned.

I totally agree!!

To use paper towels is such a waste of the earths resources :panic::angry::angry:

The Juggler
29-02-2012, 01:42 PM
i agree too

firstly no guarantees child will use their own towel and no-one else's
secondly, they are all washing their hands so presumably will be CLEAN when they are drying

I use one towel we share and it's changed when wet/dirty.

caz3007
29-02-2012, 01:52 PM
I use one towel and change it regularly and never been picked up on it. Suppose it just depends if your inspector is picky about this particular thing this week :laughing:

Monkey26
29-02-2012, 02:03 PM
I have a paper towel dispenser in my downstairs bathroom as this is the bathroom the children use the most - upstairs i have a normal hand towel... x

snufflepuff
29-02-2012, 03:16 PM
I have one towel and change it daily. I know ofsted may not like it and keep meaning to get some suction hooks so each child can have their own towel hanging up (though what's the betting they just use any old towel rather than 'their own'?!)

sonia ann
29-02-2012, 03:55 PM
I have one towel and change it daily. I know ofsted may not like it and keep meaning to get some suction hooks so each child can have their own towel hanging up (though what's the betting they just use any old towel rather than 'their own'?!)

I thought that would happen as well, but I have actually found the opposite...............they take great pride in their own towel and their hook, they choose their own picture and soon recognise their own name printed on it , great for psed and cll :thumbsup: