PDA

View Full Version : What am I doing wrong...

mum2two
27-05-2008, 01:12 PM
I quite lucky today that I have 4 mindees off! I have my 2 & 6 yr old, and a 4 & 5 yr old today, but it's been a nightmare!

I cut out their handprints from cardboard this morning for an activity later. We've made Jelly with fruit in, they've had general play (and arguments), had playdoh, a tray of cornflakes with the diggers etc in, and just tried to paper mache their hand cut outs. Plus lunch & garden play in between!

Well, playdoh caused arguments, they all wanted my 2yr olds new bits, that we only opened for the first time this morning, and ended up being put away!

The 4 & 6 yr old girls were happily drawing & writing, so I set up the cornflake tray for the 2 boys. The girls wanted to join in which eventually, (as I suspected), turned into a mess. Thrown all over the floor, hair etc - again that was the end of that!

Paper mache, I spent my time setting it up, aprons, glue etc, for them to stick about 3 or 4 bits of paper down, and say 'I've had enough!'

We've had every toy tipped all over the floor, which I must praise them, and say they did pick it ALL up! :thumbsup:

But why do we bother planning... All they want to do is play their own games, as today has proven to me! I've had enough now. Free play for the rest of the day - it's what they're happiest doing, and when we have the least arguments! :thumbsup:

Kelly x

deeb66
27-05-2008, 01:18 PM
I think we all have days like these Kelly

Sometimes it does make you wonder why on earth you bother doesn't it:(

On the other hand some days it can really work out well.

Keep your chin up love........soon be going home time :D

Banana
27-05-2008, 01:20 PM
Big hugs to you.

I know what you mena about the free play - they do seem happiest at this most of the time. Mayeb just plan one activity a day and then that way you can judge how interested they are on each day and then you can do something else afterwards if the first one goes well

xx

katickles
27-05-2008, 01:30 PM
Sorry to hear your having a busy day - shame they aren't interested in your planned activities.

I tend to plan just 1 activity for morning & 1 for afternoons. This way I get them doing something conctructive but if it doesn't go down to well they have there free play to occupy them.

Hope your afternoons going more smoothly :)

foxy lady
27-05-2008, 02:53 PM
ha ha your house sounds like mine today
dont you just love the holidays :laughing: :laughing: :laughing:

lizzymoonshine
27-05-2008, 04:12 PM
i know exactly what you mean, although i haven't had any mindees today.

I plan for mine, my own two are 8 and 7 and my mindees this week are 8 and 7, and a 4 year old tomorrow. I plan stuff, then they look at me like i'm mad and continue with what they are doing!!! is it them or is it me!! :laughing:

breezy
27-05-2008, 05:52 PM
I usually plan one activity per day and keep one in reserve ( incase the first one goes well)!!!!!!!!!!!!

We always go outside or for a walk or anything that lets off steam BEFORE a more structured sitting activity.

I find nothing ever goes to plan but occasionally it almost gets there!!!!!!!!

chez1373
27-05-2008, 06:27 PM
I stop planning activitys i see what the children want to do and then see if we can do or give them a choice of activitys as i find they dont want to do it unless its thier idea..

ruby
27-05-2008, 06:27 PM
we usually plan just one activity and one in reserve which we do in the morning as 3 go to nusery in the afternoon and the rest go to sleep

but have been out this morning to soft play so did our activity with the older ones this afternoon.

but have to say our trouble some ones mother has taken the week of so quite this week

cathy

Michelle M
27-05-2008, 06:51 PM
Its been raining today, the 8 month old, my 14 month old and the 2 year old had a nap this morning, when the 2 year old afternooner arrived, we all got in the car and went to softplay to burn off some excess energy :) Thursday we are going out on a trip to a National Trust Museum the Childhood Museum, not sure if its a good idea with 5 children and 4 of them under 3 years old :)

angeldelight
27-05-2008, 09:22 PM
Hope you have a better day tomorrow

Angel xx