PDA

View Full Version : Are Ofsted Ok with changing children on the floor?

jadavi
28-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Just checking. I lay out a changing mat and do the job on the floor - clean it after with a miltons wipe.
Is this acceptable to Mrs O or do they expect us to do it on a raised surface or table? I find it safer this way with multiple children around.

cheers
ja

snufflepuff
28-02-2012, 08:06 PM
The floor is the safest place....a baby can't fall off the floor like they can a changing table! I'd be surprised if ofsted had a problem with it to be honest.

moggy
28-02-2012, 08:07 PM
That's fine and can been seen as safer as child can not roll/fall off table. I do mine on floor, no problem with ofsted.

MAWI
28-02-2012, 08:17 PM
I do mine on the floor. Safest way for me. Ofsted didn't even comment on it. I think it's more about your hygienic routine that goes with the nappy change than the actual 'where' you change, I.e on raised surface or floor.

The Juggler
28-02-2012, 10:10 PM
i think its far safer on the floor :)

Roseolivia
29-02-2012, 06:07 AM
I had my inspection last month and i changed a child on the floor in front of the inspector and nothing was said.

EmmaReed84
29-02-2012, 06:16 AM
Ofsted asked about me changing nappies, I said I used a mat on the floor.

She then said "What hygiene measure do you take? You use gloves?" I said no and her face look quite dissapproving then she asked why. So I explained that I change a nappy, bag it up and throw it in the outside bin. I have a down stairs loo right next to the front door. I go in there wash my hands, use sanitiser gel and then spray the door handle with dettol anti bac spray! I said it quite firmly and her response was "Oh good, good"... Yeah too right lady lol

anisha
29-02-2012, 07:04 AM
On the floor, Mrs O was fine with it.

janminder
29-02-2012, 07:56 AM
I changed baby on the floor, out of sight of Mrs O for privacy, gloves on and she wrote on my report 'follows good nappy changing practice'.

rickysmiths
29-02-2012, 07:56 AM
Ofsted asked about me changing nappies, I said I used a mat on the floor.

She then said "What hygiene measure do you take? You use gloves?" I said no and her face look quite dissapproving then she asked why. So I explained that I change a nappy, bag it up and throw it in the outside bin. I have a down stairs loo right next to the front door. I go in there wash my hands, use sanitiser gel and then spray the door handle with dettol anti bac spray! I said it quite firmly and her response was "Oh good, good"... Yeah too right lady lol

Wouldn't it be easier, cheaper and more environmentally friendly just to use one glove and soap and water to wash your hands?

I don't use and never have used antibac spray anywhere in my house. I use hot soapy water :thumbsup:

rickysmiths
29-02-2012, 08:04 AM
I have never changed nappies on the floor except in an emergency. To get up and down countless times a day would kill my knees and back.

I used the top of a chest of drawers when mine were babies and when I started minding. Now I have a vinyl cloth across the end of my dining table with the changing mat on top. I have all the nappies etc at had and use a sanitex nappy dispenser bin. I haven't lost a child yet, it saves my back and Mrs O loved it.

At the end of the day it is all washed down, the cloth is wiped and it is all put away.

miffy
29-02-2012, 12:50 PM
I've always changed babies on the floor, including my own. It's the safest place as they can't roll off anything. Can't think why Mrs O would have a problem with it.

Miffy xx